• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Columbarius

Columbarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

Hey folks, I recently found out that I'll be working this summer down in lakeview, while returning to Portland on weekends. This means I'll have a chance to drive through pretty much the whole Oregon blacktail range every week. While I was originally planning on hunting the northern coast range, now I'll have a chance to scout anywhere I like.

So the question is, if you guys could hunt anywhere, where would you pick? I'm not looking for monsters, just a place with a good shot at success, that I can visit and explore all summer. Thanks in advance.

#2 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

i see you looking on here lots waiting for a reply 

DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP wait a little longer 

most are still in winter hibernation and even though they can point and click a mouse and read , their fingers are still too frozen to type 

i've noticed about 20-25 members looking and reading and lots of non members 

soon as the winter thaw happens and hunters get twitchy then some will respond  :D

facebook takes away lots that love to chat , it makes it more personal and not out for everyone to read . 

#3 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Shady Cove outside Medford

Any of the areas around Roseburg east and west

Call the biologists as well

#4 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

Years ago I ran BLM tree planting crews .... we planted some units up above Galice ... I think we called it Bear Camp ... the start of the back road system that goes over to Gold Beach .... I have always wanted to go back an hunt that area.

Don't know about now, but back then the deer heard was tremendous in that area.

Also I always wanted to hunt the Kalmiopsis area west of Cave Junction .... sighted the biggest Blacktail Bucks I have ever seen in that area.

#5 Columbarius

Columbarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Those areas look really good, thanks. I really like the more out of the way spots like you're recommending; I grew up in the wilderness and it feels good to get out when I can.

#6 Columbarius

Columbarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hey guys, figured it's time to update this. I'm going to try to hunt the kalmiopsis, assuming the trails I want aren't closed down by the time the season opens. Quick question though; does anyone know a good butcher in the grants pass area?

#7 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

https://www.yellowpa...game-processing    

only 2 online i can find but lots near and north of medford 

i butcher myself , had to learn cause no butcher within 100 miles of my house 

its easy to bone out a deer or bear 

#8 Columbarius

Columbarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

Well, I was planning on heading down to the kalmiopsis area but it's just been shut down. Anyone got a last minute alternative to suggest?

#9 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Yes, to the east .... up GreyBack way ... or up toward Cooking Green ... or the back roads that go along the Cali border to the west of Mt Ashland ski resort.

Or down Galice way .. Bear Camp ... the back road to Gold Beach. 

#10 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

ropes 

think his problem is all the fires creating closures and limited access , although he didnt say that .

lots of fires in southern oregon and nor cal with lots of closures 

#11 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

I just looked at the fire map and see they got fires in the Chetco & back behind Grey Back. 

I would head down to Bear Camp road and head for the coast, remote area ... wetter type forest. But is still dry. 

#12 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

The smoke from those fires has been sitting in lake county for a week or so, aye big bad?

Sunday I could have sworn the fire was just over the ridge from me it was so thick

#13 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

when i can see the smoke between my house and neighbors house , its bad 

its all migrating south from ruth lake fires or from farther north in six rivers natl. forest . my brother in eureka has fall out from orleans area fires . 

yreka been tral bad smoky cause of fires 30 miles west off hwy 96 . 

most of those fires have containment expected date of mid october . hope its not bad when i head to deer/bear camp in 3 weeks 

#14 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

www.lakeconews.com/index.php/news/52040-air-quality-management-district-reports-on-smoke-conditions-over-lake-county

For some reason this piece of junk phone won't make a link so copy paste search I guess

#15 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

i look at that useless news site 

only 1/4 of the news is ever posted and according to other news sites up the coast they post lies and fake news

but i still look at it

#16 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

I can see from here in the valley that the article I suggested is accurate to the extent that lake county is blanketed in smoke

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users