• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 illeagle

illeagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

If I wasn't there to witness it, I would've called B.S.

Anyway, my friend Chinogoose invited me to go hunting w/ him at his honeyhole. I'd been there before and had seen a lot of deer, most importantly a couple of decent bucks, I just wasn't comfortable taking the shots with my 1948 PSE. It's about a two mile hike from the main road but it takes awhile to get to because you have to cross a creek and hike up hill. Just the right distance away from all those stupid road hunters and private land rich kids.

We had been back there for 2 days and were not having any luck w/ the big bucks. We both passed on some smaller forkies that we had patterned and seemed to be working on a time schedule, kinda like punching in to work at the ol' plant.

On the 3rd day we decided to split up and try something a little different. Nothing doing, a lot of doe/fawns and even a small flock of turkeys. After hiking all day we made our way back to "The Spot". It was getting late in the day and decided that we'd settle on a fork if the opportunity arose. The weather had been mild so the oak leaf crunch factor was minimal and we still were seeing a lot of positive sign.

He hunkered down on a ridge that overlooked his "honeyhole" and I decided to check on those forks that we had seen. I hoofed it downhill looped around and stalked up a ridge. About a 1/4 mile from where my bud was sitting I saw deer high tailing it up to him. I couldnt really make out what they were but was pretty confident one was a buck from the tracks that they made. I backed out and cirlcled back around to where I could also see the "honeyhole". Sure enough, DEER! I glassed a small fork, then inched myself back up to Chinogoose's spot.

I could tell he was getting excited, he had been watching this guy for some time, working a treeline left to right. He said he hadn't seen anything else come through. Which I thought was odd since I thought those other deer were headed this way. By this time we were starting to run out of daylight. He stood up grabbed his Hoyt, nocked in an arrow and got his stalk on. The anxiety and anticipation was thick, I was amazed on how silently that old Indian could move through the woods. ph34r.gif

50 yards later he was within 30 yards of little "bucky". He drew back held, then out of nowhere CRASH! BOOM! BANG! Three deer bust out of a thicket. Talk about bad timing. Chinogoose let his RAGING arrow fly...

The deer distracted me for a split second, 2 doe and a nice beautiful 3x. Well apparently it also distracted Chinogoose and the fork. I think everyone jumped. I looked back just in time to see the fork jog off into the trees. The other deer never slowed down.

I look at Chinogoose and he was a wreck, he runs back up and discuss wtf just happend. He said he had hit the buck...nice, then he said he hit it "kinda far back". Well that's ok. We walk over to the spot and see bloodsplatter, we high five. We kick back and wait it out. After a little I ask him "How far back do you think it hit him?" I was thinking maybe gutshot or sliced a vital somewhere. His response, "In the butt." OHHH SNAP! REALLY, IN THE BUTT? Now I'm thinking great now there's a buck running around the mountains with an arrow stuck in his ass. By then it had been an hour, and we start tracking for about 20 yards then the blood runs out. SH!T.

We split up, and start down the general direction. About 100 yards down a trail Chinogoose spots the buck laying down under a pine tree, dead as a doornail. He pulls out the RAGE tipped arrow and we both stand there in disbelief. I look at him and start laughin', I say, "I think this buck died of shock." He starts cracking up and we pull out our knives and get to work.

We packed out the next day, a week later I was still amazed and amused from that hunt.

Just thought I'd share. YES you can shoot a buck in the rear and still win meat! biggrin.gif

I LOVE HOT WOMEN and COLD BEER!!

#2 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

Great story, thanks. I sure wouldn't intend that hit, with a rifle or bow, but I've never seen one that wasn't deadly.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users