30 replies to this topic

#1 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

I know it's only day three but I figure start this now and see where it goes...

Pretty simple, how's your season going?

#2 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hmmm - my season doesn't start until September 30.  Guess I'll have to update you later :-)

Attached File  BuckPic.jpg   173.06KB   3 downloads

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#3 dukslayer26

dukslayer26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

Haven't had a chance to hunt yet. Getting new strings and cables on my bow tomorrow. I have been doing a lot of scouting and checking cameras. With all the moisture in A zone this year, I have been seeing some Giants!!! A lot of antler growth on bucks in my area compared to yrs past. If all goes well I should be flinging an arrow before archery ends!
I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!!

#4 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Got a few top end a-zone bucks scouted myself... been too hot to slip in and try to kill one so i just focused on water sources for the first couple hunts. Hope to get out Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday this week.

" Hope" is the key word there though

#5 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

Saw three bucks on northernmost border of a-zone last weekend... All hard horned already.

#6 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Some areas open in just a few days on August 1st. Over on Prince of Wales Island most of it opens on August 16th for non-island residents. 

Seems to be lots of deer around so I'm sure it will be a good season. 

Good luck to everyone and hope you have a successful season. 

#7 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

God damned lions ruined my hunt. Stupid thing followed me around all weekend making some loud barking noise starting Friday night at camp it circled us making that noise. I kept making "psst" sounds to spook it away but it would respond immediately with a barking noise. Finally it left after I loaded my rifle and told it to get the f outta here.... I heard it three times Saturday during my hunt. Then sunday morning it snuck up ten yards behind me and started growling and screaming. I never saw it but I grabbed my rifle and ran towards it, calling it's bluff. I yelled I'll blanking kill you and tossed a few rocks in a 360 around me since the thing moved in total silence, I kept thinking it was going to circle me. I never did hear it again but the canyon was already effected as Saturday I saw 12 deer, a big brown black bear and 3 coyotes, but Sunday, just two fawnless does.

#8 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

The bigger problem is the metropolitan voters who deny hunting by dogs and thereby inflict those God damned lions on us.  They are everywhere (both lions and metro voters).

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#9 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY 

BANG 

they stalk like bears , quiet with some funny noises 

dont forget to look up in trees . bears watch you from trees and so do cats . 

i been stalked by cat only to see it in a tree in the direction i was walking 

lucky that time my old pup noticed him and stood in front of me and wouldnt let me walk . then i saw it 

one shot and it ran away and wasnt bothered any more  but i was sure scared walking  back to camp at dusk and in heavy timber

#10 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

So I went hunting yesterday at 6am. Park along side hwy 20 in lake co and walk in several miles over the course of the day. About noon I realized that I'd gone too far for just a morning hunt and decided I'd stretch my snacks and drinks to last til dark. I get back to my truck about 9:15pm and load up and drive home only to find a yellow tow away sticker from the California highway patrol on my back side window. It's marked 72 hour tow away notice abandoned vehicle blah blah blah. It then dawned on me that just a few miles up the road from where I'd parked I passed a tow truck.

Bottom line here, I believe I was just a matter of a few minutes from not having a ride home, being totally stranded in the hills without anything but a gun and backpack, and believing my truck had been stolen.

The tag was marked by an officer M. Zane who in my opinion was either an anti hunter or was in cahoots with the tow truck driver and was trying to "steal" my truck and or its aftermarket parts, or was just that incompetent and ignorant of the situation at hand.

What do you all think?

#11 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

lake county or colusa county dont matter . depending on how far off the road you parked and where , its all tow away zone .

bet if you had trail cam pointed at truck you would have seen lots more than just  CHP looking at it . 

they tag them and get em towed before they stripped . i've seen lots stripped at first light when i travel that road . 

not all private property is marked on fences , could have been property owner called them. 

i say you were lucky

#12 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

Not a good practice on their part. Seems the guy was a little premature in tagging it

#13 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

welp

next time on hwy 20 and you want to park , find a CHP and ask em how to avoid getting your truck towed while hunting . 

#14 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Seen three 12-13" wide 2yr old meat bucks thus far in a zone. And a couple more on private property driving to and from the area I hunt.

#15 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Guess I finally have something to share! My son and I took the bows up in the high country of D5 this last weekend. Drove as deep as I could with the plan to get down in some cool creek bottoms I know of. Arrived just after dark Friday, as weekend warriors do, to find nobody in the valley. Feeling pretty good about a silent type hunt in the morn. Didn't even drink more brew than I should have!

Wake in the morning, ready to make it happen and Ker-Pow!!   7:13am the first shot of just another tax paying American citizen enjoying his right to bear arms in our US National Forestland. This fella proceeded to blow up the valley with every barrel he had till about 11:00 or so. Directly above them bottoms I had mentioned earlier.

We trekked the opposite direction for the day seeing critters but nothing with big ears and velvet. I wanna be mad at the fella but have to resort back to the rights of all. I glassed him for a minute when we were a mile or so away and he appeared to be enjoying himself so Oh F...N well I guess.

Y'all got any thoughts on target shooting during bow season? Did he blast the valley for his own hunt next month? Should he know where and when he's in the woods? (Just trying to stir the sh-t a bit!!)

#16 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

I think bbh posted something about a temporary ban on plinking on forest service lands during fire season.

I had another cat encounter Saturday morning. Saw lots of deer but no bucks.

#17 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

all  BLM land is closed to plinking . actual hunters can shoot at game thats open season . 

each forest has closures around fires but away from fires its wide open for target shooting .

i dont shoot at targets more than 1 shot a year . i shoot a beer can between 75 and 100 yards . thats about the distance of my last 20 buccks have been .

i do mess with rifle hunters , i carry a shotgun in the truck for grouse and that season opens just before i get in deer camp

#18 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Killed a little three pointer last evening. I'll share more after a good nap.

Edit: short story on buck off page.

#19 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

Anyone get out in that cool rainy weather yesterday to hunt? I missed out. Had to work.

#20 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing thats all there is !!!!!!!!!!

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

I don't hunt till the last week of B-zone then I head out !!!

MADDOG RULES LOL and Make the first shot count,Blacktail Identification expert LOL and population control professionalist LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users