• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing thats all there is !!!!!!!!!!

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

Good luck to all headed out this weekend for open of rifle season in the B-zones,be safe shoot straight and may your Buck be a big one !!!!

MADDOG RULES LOL and Make the first shot count,Blacktail Identification expert LOL and population control professionalist LOL

#2 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

good luck to you also ..... maddog

#3 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

Well had a good weekend was not dissapointed even though I did not get a buck, saw 17 deer total of which 2 were twin spikes saw lots of fresh sign and big buck tracks they just held tight to the steep brushy timber mix terrain.Did some knarly 4 wheeling in my jeep to get to some high rocky ridge tops  to do some glassing and did some hunts with my brother to see if we could jump some bucks in the thick willow patches in a big bowl we found but just momma and fawns came out. So all in all had a good time and trip so now wait for my 5 day trip last week of season as I will be moving to my new house for the 4 weeks.

MADDOG RULES LOL and Make the first shot count,Blacktail Identification expert LOL and population control professionalist LOL

#4 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, carpentry

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

Gonna go this weekend for the first and last time this year, this weekend.  Life has been getting in the way a lot lately.

Was gonna go higher up by on the F7 road but heard a lot of deer have moved lower.  Any truth to that ya think. Anyhow Ill be up there in the area in a big GMC if anyone else will be.  Bringing the Decker terriers to do some brush beatin too.

Cheers

Jerrod 

#5 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Not til Nov will we venture up that way... Hope all the fires are out by then. And all the roads are still open. And the weather is right. And the bucks are dumber than ever... A lot to ask, I know.

#6 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

good luck ducksnbucks 

hope you can get into an unburned area

#7 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

I will shoot the first legal retarded buck I see. :)

Doesn't seem like there is any fires in the immediate area.  Farther west and the north side of the Yolly Bollys

Cheers

#8 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Went up the M2 road to no avail.  Stayed at Whitlock and went up Toomes  to a side road and walked the road to see nothing.  Turned up the hillside to see what we could bump but the noise of walking in that forest was super loud.  Dogs got onto something a couple times but could never see what it was.  Walked back a different road back to truck and more of the same, nothing.  At least there wasn't anybody around as far as road hunters that is.  Took a ride to Thomes creek drainage for a little exploration and that is when we found the masses.  Damn there was a ton of people over there.  Camps all over, road hunters even more.  It is steep so I don't think to many people get off the quads and side by sides.  We bailed off into the oaks and brush and bumped a deer first thing.  Couldn't get a good look at it but was a single so I'll say it was a buck :)

Getting dark so we road hunted a few minutes till shoot time ended then hauled a$$ back to camp.  Sunday we stayed lower and hit the brush to no avail.  Dogs didn't bump anything.  Left about 1 to head home.  We did see a doe with twin fawns, larger now, and a spike; prolly last years offspring still hangin on.  The weather on Thursday has me thinking of calling in well and leaving early in the morning and coming home in time to pick up the kids.  We'll see

Cheers

#9 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

got mine at the start of a 3 day rain/snow shower 

if you can do it , thats when they be on the move and more visible  

#10 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

No I get it BBH.  Just cant always hunt the ideal conditions like we want; only had last weekend  Looks like the little weather that is forecast is coming later than I need.  I have a Boy Scout camp this weekend here in the hills above Livermore and I would be pushin it trying to go.  Thought about leaving the house at 3 am, hit the hills in the rain til 1ish and then haul a$$ back to pick up kids from school.  If it was raining tomorrow I would call in sick and go. Oh well

Good luck to those still getting after it.

Cheers

#11 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

here you go B zone hunters 

this is a screen shot of buck fire in shasta trinity forest . red is burning and purple is evac area as of yesterday oct. 17 

they been chasing out sasquach and he running for cover .

make pic big and you can see him  :D

Attached Files

#12 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

bucksnducks my brother and i camped at whitlock the last week of season i had the white jeep i think you stopped and said hello to us, we hunted the 3 prong area to sugarfoot area to the slab at creek crossing saw 23 deer on the trip came home middle of the week then i went back to whitlock with a good friend for the weekend saw 19 deer and my buddy missed a big fork on saturday.if i was,nt stuck in my jeep i would have killed that buck but was on a steep jeep trail below sugarfoot camp and all i could do was keep the jeep from sliding down on the loose dirt was dam neer straight up and down.my buddy jumps out and dam neer falls down buck running down the road he gets his leg caught on gun strap fumbles around a bit and last second fires a shot as the buck was just about out of sight.gets back in jeep we go fast as i could get to the spot find no blood he goes after the buck and missed 3 more times i could not believe it but shit happens i said LOL

#13 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

That wouldnt happen if you were in a Toyota...

#14 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

HEy  Maddog,

I was in the big silver gmc pickup there.  It was my first time there so I was just gerttng my bearings for the most part and if I got a deer that would have been icing on the cake.  Were you guys just road hunting?  Ill give it a try next year too.  Sunday we drove up to cold springs and back around and all we saw were cars, quads and people. 

What creek crossing you talkin bout?  Thomes creek? Sugarfoot?  I think knowing what I saw and what people were doing I might be able to put some meat on the ground. 

Maybe we could meet up there at some point.  Maybe even a BTC hunting rendezvous.....  :)  Seems like getting a spot at whitlock is relatively easy come end of season but anything up higher prolly requires a little more than showing up on a Friday nite. 

Cheers

Jerrod

#15 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

if you took the road from sugarfoot and headed towards thomes creek the cement road way they made crossing the creek everyone calls it the slab and no we have spots we hunt on foot around ball mountain we do hunts and an area around 3 prong camp we have a spot we hunt and down around sugarfoot we have a good spot to hunt last week of season but between spots we do spot deer out of the jeep and sometimes get lucky to have a buck just about run into the jeep lol next year let me know if your hunting that area and we can meet at whitlock its always open.

#16 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

It takes a couple years to really get a foothold of an area.  I don't have a b zone spot for sure.  We used to hunt G1 when that was easier to draw so I have had to move. :), spent the last couple years between b zone and d 3-5.  I like the  b zone better so I will just have to find a spot and stick with it.  I did like the area up there but just not the crowds but I can get over that.  I like the area up on the FH7 road too, but that has the same amount of people.  If we make it up there next year ill let ya know for sure.

Cheers

#17 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

learning a new spot is fun , sorta 

i was lucky when starting out in C1 . my cousin lived there and knew migration patterns and summer areas and where they ran in fall when early snows hit . 

and then talking to others that hunt that area for years helps also .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users