#1 Dan BTC

Dan BTC

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Welcome to the New BTC Forum

The new board is finally up and running!. There are still some issues I need to get worked out but I figured I could do that while everyone gets familiar with the numerous new features. Because of these, it can be a little overwhelming at first but it gets much easier after a few posts. I'm sure some of you probably liked the old board better but I hope that will change with time. The main reasons I switched from the old board was because of the often inappropriate advertising. The old board was a free board so I had no control of the ad's. On the new board I guarantee there will be no such advertising. I apologize for the inconvenience it will cause members having to re-register but the free board once again left me no choice. Posts and accounts could not be transferred. I do however plan on keeping the old board around as an archive once the new board gets some posts on it. At that time it will no longer be able to be posted on, only viewed. I also plan on resetting members post counts to match their current numbers. Even though it will be time consuming, I think it's an important part of the board and worth the effort.

I'm sure everyone has noticed the new look of the board. The reason for the big change in appearance is because I wanted everyone to recognize, at a glance, that some major changes have taken place on BTC.

For those who are wondering who the person is in the new header, its my dad. I figure he earned a place at the top of BTC because without his influence none of us would be here right now. Even though my dad died when I was very young his love of hunting and the outdoors, as well as his admiration for the Blacktail deer, were passed on to me and my brother Dave. Dave and I have spent a lot of time sitting in the hills talking about my Dad and the huge influence he had on us in the short time we had to spend with him. I can't imagine how different our lives would be without his influence.

My Dad grew up on a farm in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. At the time there were no deer in the area so pheasant hunting and trapping were his passions. I still have the old 22.cal Stevens Crackshot he bought from a Sears catalog for $4.00, when he was 9 years old with the proceeds of a winter trap-line. He gave the rifle to me on my tenth birthday. I wish I could say I still had the gun but unfortunately I don't, although I hope to get it back someday.

When my dad was 17 he moved to Northern California and fell in love with deer hunting. When I was a kid he would take my brothers and I Blacktail hunting in the hills behind our house, and on regular trips into north eastern California Mule deer hunting. He also did some Mule deer hunting in Idaho and I was lucky enough to go with him once shortly before he passed away. Even though I never killed a deer while hunting with my dad (although he got a few) those times are some of my fondest memories as are the times we spent pheasant hunting, dove hunting and trout fishing in the little creeks that ran though the hills near our house.

At one time my brother Dave and I even ran my own trap-line, with his help of course, because he wanted me to learn from the hard work and responsibility he knew it would bring with it. While walking the trap-line I carried the little brake down, falling block, Stevens Crackshot that he had also carried as a boy 40 years earlier. The little rifle was also known as his "in season out, of season" gun. The world was a different place in those days and that little rifle put a lot of Blacktail meat on our plates. My dad didn't care much about horns but we eat every scrap of the deer he killed with it.

My dad passed away unexpectedly on Thanksgiving day when I was 13 years old. Since I was so young it took a lot of years to get over the loss, in fact in a lot of ways I still haven't. But I guess that's just how it goes when you lose a father.

The reason I am bringing all of this up is because I wanted everyone to know the real reason BTC exists. When I look at the board I see people like my dad every where. I'm sure if my dad were still around he would be posting right along with the rest of us. He loved nothing more than to sit around a campfire and talk about huntin' just like those of us who now exchange stories on the board. Even more significantly I see the same importance that he placed on family and friends, repeated time, and time again and that's what makes the board so special to me.
I hope you enjoy the new board.

Thanks for listening, Dan

#2 Guest_Tony 270WSM_*

Guest_Tony 270WSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

I like the banner of your dad, great photo

#3 Guest_Drnaln_*

Guest_Drnaln_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Dan! How do we get our photos over here & an avatar?
David

#4 huntinfreak

huntinfreak

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and dirt bikes

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Drnaln @ Jul 23 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Dan! How do we get our photos over here & an avatar?
David
+2 :
gotta love oregon

#5 Tree Killer

Tree Killer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

I tried to start a thread in the photography forum, and it says I do not have permission to post in that forum? LOL laugh.gif

#6 ceetoo

ceetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Dan,
The new forum looks good, but will take a little getting used to - for some of the geezers (like me) at least.. Like the tribute to your Pop and Dave in your banner. Should be a hoppin' place soon!
Cheers,
-c2, aka jr
One of the great dreams of man must be to find some place between the extremes of nature and civilization where it is possible to live without regret.

#7 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Dan BTC @ Jul 18 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope you enjoy the new board.

Thanks for listening, Dan

I really appreciate reading the background relating to your Dad and the board, Dan. Adds a lot of meaning to the structure here. Thanks, Rod.
New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#8 VacavilleIllusion

VacavilleIllusion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Flying, hunting, fishing. R/C helicopters. Retired stuff!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Yahoo! I'm in!

The new digs look nice... calming pastel colors? Yeah, I was actually getting use to bright green... now we are more camouflaged!

Cheers!
2008 Browning "Illusion"; Backup is a Browning 2007 “Illusion”; Both: 70lb at 29”; PSE Phantom Drop-Away; Extreme RT900; Beman Carbons w/Grim Reapers

#9 Ballistic

Ballistic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

The Board Looks Great Dan. I'll give it a few days to fill up and get busy again.
It's alot cleaner without all the ads and simple to navigate through.

#10 huntinfreak

huntinfreak

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and dirt bikes

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

Im having the same problem as TK.Cool board.the music is real cool
gotta love oregon

#11 Guest_MJ from Oregon_*

Guest_MJ from Oregon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Tree Killer @ Jul 23 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to start a thread in the photography forum, and it says I do not have permission to post in that forum? LOL laugh.gif

+3

#12 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (MJ from Oregon @ Jul 23 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+3

I'm still pretty new here, but thanks Dan for all the work. BTC has really been special to me. Lurked around quite awhile before taking the plunge to post. I feel like I know you guys all ready. Thanks again. rolleyes.gif
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#13 JPO

JPO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

just postin to post

#14 Gramps

Gramps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

Just a test.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life,
wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of
America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

#15 shedhorn

shedhorn

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Family

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Gramps @ Jul 23 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a test.

gonna take a little gettin used to.
It's tough to push a rope.

#16 Dan BTC

Dan BTC

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the compliments on the new board. I've been playing around on it for a couple weeks and I really like it.

TK thanks for pointing out the permissions problem with the photography board. I checked the permissions and they were not configured properly but they should be now. Some of the other board permissions weren't setup properly either so I fixed those also.

Someone also asked about adding pictures. All you have to do to add a picture to your post is click on the "Browse" button, find the photo you want to post on our computer, and click "upload". To add more pictures repeat the process. I've included an scenery photo I took on our place last year as an example

PS. A note to the moderators. I'll get all of you setup shortly.

Attached Files

#17 Trailseeker

Trailseeker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:02 AM

A great site.

A great tribute to you dad.

A great service for us.

Thanks!
Defend our rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.
Uphold our natural right to harvest food.
Hunt.

#18 Willy

Willy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

Has always home away from always looks great!!!!!!!!

#19 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Dan BTC @ Jul 23 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the compliments on the new board. I've been playing around on it for a couple weeks and I really like it.

TK thanks for pointing out the permissions problem with the photography board. I checked the permissions and they were not configured properly but they should be now. Some of the other board permissions weren't setup properly either so I fixed those also.

Dan, when I attempt to view a posted photo (yours; TK's) I get the "Sorry, you do not have permission . . . .
New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#20 Whistler

Whistler

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Dan!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users