2013 BUCK-OFF CONTEST

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 YoungBuck88

YoungBuck88

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

First off I want to say that a lot of thought has gone into the contest rules that follow. Over the ten years the contest has been going on the rules have changed to try and remedy some of the issues that have arisen. They are very simple and straight forward because over the years we have discovered that it's the best way to go. We have also realized that it is not possible to make everyone happy and have long since given up trying to do so.

Everyone please remember, the main reason for the contest is to bring members closer together. bivalent pointed this out as well as and many other positive reason for the contest in his post on the "mockery" thread. I suggest everyone read it carefully. This buck-off contest has nothing to do with big racks and braggin' about the bucks that are killed. This is precisely why there is not a "big buck" winner or prizes of any type awarded. Likewise there are no width, height or mass measurements involved in the scoring. Scores are simply calculated on the number of total "points" over 1/2 inch long. You can't get more basic than that while still giving antler configuration some credit. Never once have I heard a member bragging about the size of their buck's antlers although a lot of good natured ribbing does go on.

Some members have claimed that the contest is disrespectful to the Blacktail deer because antler size determines scores. Lets be realistic for a moment, in the real world there are very few hunters who give absolutely no significance to antler size. Most hunters would much rather take a large buck than a small buck. The members of the board are no different. If showing pictures, and talking about the size of buck's around a campfire, or on this board is acceptable to any of you who criticized the buck-off contest, you are being hypocritical and should step back and re-consider your opinion.

"Signing-Up Others" The members who signed up friends, who are not BTC members, are not to be blame for the mix-up on the registration thread. Without the rules being clearly posted they had no guidelines to follow and that is my fault. I should have posted them a long time ago. I have now included the contest rules and guidelines below for everyone to read in hopes that it will eliminate some of the confusion. Members with children are allowed to sign-up them up even if they are not board members. Because as has been mentioned, there are a lot of kids who view the board on a regular basis but are not signed up.,

Changing the "point" system has also been considered. Allotting a set number of points for a buck, and a set number of points for a doe was considered in the past but was not used because it could potentially put an early end to the contest. For example if a team got ahead by 10 points (5 bucks at 2 points per buck) it would be very difficult for the trailing team to catch up. On the other hand, while using the current antler point scoring system, the trailing team would have a better chance to catching up with a couple good bucks.

"Bonus points" have also been suggested but never implemented. The main reason being, I have never been able to figure out a fair way to allot the points. Some people have suggested that successful bow hunters be awarded bonus point because of the handicap they have. If we allow bowhunters bonus points how many bonus points do we give to those who have real handicaps. If using a bow is a handicap certainly physical limitations must be recognized. What about terrain difficulties, deer density's, public vs. private, new hunter vs. experienced, the list goes on and on. This all has to be considered is a preference point is given to a certain group. For that reason no bonus points are allotted.

Rod and Antelope Eyes recently posted the links to the last few years of contest's and it's amazing how close they have been.

2011- 2011 Contest - http://blacktailcoun...?showtopic=3726

2010 - 2010 Contest - http://blacktailcoun...?showtopic=2294

2009 - 2009 Contest - http://blacktailcoun...p?showtopic=195

2008- 190 contestants- 74 bucks (38-36) - final score 261-265 - http://s2.excoboard....amp;t=1863213-1

2007 - 150 contestants - 57 bucks (26-31)- final score 225-158 - http://s2.excoboard....amp;t=1617640-1

2006 - 108 contestants - 49 bucks (25-24) - final score 166-172 - http://cybermagic200...l/bocontest.htm

Any and all suggestions are welcome and will be voted on by members as they have been in the past. If you have a suggestion lets hear it.

Below is a list of rulers and guideline for everyone to read.

BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR AGE (when your season opens) AND YOUR STATE WHEN SIGNING UP!!

SCORING SYSTEM.

* The total number of all points (including eye-guards, AKA brow tines) over 1/2 inch long equals your final score. Please try to be as accurate as possible.

* Scoreable point issues will be resolved by the entrants team captain.

* Doe's count as one point

* Beginning in 2007 only the total number of points will be calculated to determine the winning team. It is just to complicated otherwise.

* Designated "Team Captains" will resolve any issues that arise.

* Participants will be divided into two teams, the "WhipperSnappers" and the "Geezers".

* The dividing point of the teams will be at the "mean" (middle) age of all participants.

CONTEST GUIDELINES

* You must sign-up for the contest BEFORE your state deadline. Bucks taken before signing up can not be entered.

*Your age is figured when your season OPENS

*If you live in California, and take a Blacktail in Oregon or Washington, it can still be entered into the contest. This is just an example. This holds true no matter which western state you live in.

* Successful entrants scores will be added next to their names on the "Team Member List" as bucks are taken so everyone can keep track of the competition. Their photo will also be added to this post. Comments to "successful members photos" will be periodically removed to keep the thread as short a possible and keep the emphasis on the bucks. This makes it much easier to keep track of scores and entrants.

* A photo of you with your buck MUST be submitted with your score to be eligible.

* If an entrant takes a bigger buck later in the season, after already entering a buck, their numbers will be changed to reflect the score of the larger buck.

* If you hunt exclusively in an area that does not hold true Columbian Blacktail, or Sitka Blacktail , you can still enter your buck. This exception only applies to entrants WHO DO NOT HAVE TAGS to hunt Blacktail. It is also limited to bucks taken in their home state.

(With the scoring system counting total points, and not spread, these types of buck will have no effect.)

* In order for a buck to be entered contestants are required to post a photo and a score.

* Numbers will be updated periodically to reflect the current standings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL 2013 TEAMS

WHIPS

Aubree – 13
Little Snoop – 14
Kelsey – 14
Michael – 14---------------------> 9 points
Bailey – 15
Kole – 16------------------------> 6 points
Sprout – 18
Jacob – 19-----------------------> 4 points
Regan – 19
Airball – 21
Cubfoot – 21
Mote270BSM – 22
KevyG – 23
Leanne – 24
YoungBuck88 – 24
Jared – 24
Beau – 25------------------------> 10 points
madmax – 25
Young Gun – 25
crotalus – 26-----------------------> 11 points
Kelpy – 26
530scout – 27
Deerhunter518 – 27
ryno_19 – 27-------------------------> 7 points
HuntingRN – 28----------------------> 7 points
Jgalantine – 28
applegatecontractor – 28------------> 6 points
Zthorn85 – 28
grtwhthunter23 – 29-----------------> 9 points
MARSH BUCK – 29
O.S.O.K. – 29
5x5 – 30------------------------------> 6 points
chevy_dog – 30----------------------> 6 points
HumboldtHunter27 – 30-------------> 8 points
InPursuit – 30------------------------> 7 points
shedhorn – 31
Team Forky – 31
jc248 – 31
JustinM – 32--------------------------> 9 points
Blacktail Slayer – 32
ducksNbigbucks – 32
Doug BTC - 32------------------------> 9 points
fnull – 32
Garrett1923 – 32---------------------> 10 points
Rugerguy – 33
Salvo58 – 34--------------------------> 9 points
DHnomad – 34
BC158 – 35----------------------------> 4 points
chinogoose – 35-----------------------> 4 points
Backwoods – 35

SCORE AS OF 1/26/13 - WHIPS - 141 POINTS - BUCKS TAKEN - 21
WHIP TEAM MEMBERS - 50

--------------------------
GEEZERS

Smitty – 36
Marpint – 37
RGA 4X4 – 37
Viator – 37
Abourda – 38---------------------------> 4 points
Bigbear08 – 38-------------------------> 2 points
CANT-HIT-EM – 38
House – 38-----------------------------> 6 points
Prpdestroyer – 38----------------------> 4 points
Sprig45 – 38
Campchef – 40
reillik – 40
Mrs. Campchef – 41
California Buck Hunter – 41 ----------->8 points
Lefty15 – 41---------------------------> 10 points
Mallard Slayer – 42--------------------> 4 points
NEVADA CAT HUNTER – 42
Willy – 42------------------------------> 11 points
biggcatt88 – 43------------------------> 4 points
Blacktailbowhunter – 43---------------> 6 points
Skiermary – 44
Snoopdogg – 45------------------------> 12 points
houndhntr – 45
Brad – 46
Highsierra – 46
huntingfreak – 46
blketer66 – 47
buckspotter – 47
FoodPlot – 47
NoWhammies – 47
maxwell – 48
Roadkill – 48
forkhorn – 49
rblocke2 – 49------------------------> 4 points
KillerBeee – 49
Willyman – 49
Maddog – 51------------------------> 4 points
Whistler – 52
SpearitLake – 52
Big bucks stop here – 52
Dan BTC - 53
Freezer – 56
Jeeper – 56
Upcedarcreek – 58
BHB – 58
NormP – 59
miket1952 – 60
Rod – 61
Ropes – 67
TwoBeers – 80

SCORE AS OF 1/26/13 - GEEZERS - 79 POINTS - BUCKS TAKEN - 13

GEEZER TEAM MEMBERS - 50
Ingredients to a successful harvest= 40 acres of land, a healthy herd, plenty of food and water, some target practice, and more luck than needed to win the lottery.

#2 Garrett1923

Garrett1923

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Man, first year as a geezer lol!

#3 YoungBuck88

YoungBuck88

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Sorry about the miscommunication. To clarify the teams are NOT final. I took the liberty of getting everything set up this year since things seemed to be quiet. I just copy and pasted pretty much everything from last years contest. For those that wish to continue to sign up, please do so in the sign up thread. Thanks
Ingredients to a successful harvest= 40 acres of land, a healthy herd, plenty of food and water, some target practice, and more luck than needed to win the lottery.

#4 Salvo58

Salvo58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Omg I'm a geezer. I'm officially depressed.

#5 willyman

willyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors from sitting by the pool to sitting under an oak tree waiting for the big boy

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

willyman-49

#6 YoungBuck88

YoungBuck88

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Salvo58 @ Jul 13 2013, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Omg I'm a geezer. I'm officially depressed.

Hopefully with a few more geezers signing up we can change that cousin! I mean you are old and all but I know you are good for some points so I'd rather you be on my team haha

#7 SpearitLake

SpearitLake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

It has been along time since I have been in a contest or for that matter hung out here. This will be my Fathers last season, his health is failing and Pops believes that he doesnt have much time left. He recently lost his last sibling and his desire is to go back to all those special areas that hold strong and deep personal memories of these woods called the Coweeman Unit.
Also my son and Pops only Grandchild Jared will be huntling along side us this season, and this I believe is what keeps my Dad going. My prayer is for a safe exciting time for us and that I will be patient with Dad and his needs.

With that said:

Geezers:
Dad 80 years
Myself "SpearitLake" 52 years

WhipperSnappers:
Jared 24 years

Also I would like to Thank Dan for all he does and has done for all of us for building this site.

Good Luck To All

ahhhh....................to be 27 again :)

#8 chinogoose

chinogoose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

4 for the whips. I got this little guy the other day. Sorry about the pic all i had was my cell. Come on B zone!!!!

Attached Files

• Attached File  057.JPG   251.24KB   11 downloads

#9 sprig45

sprig45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

how do you sign up for this contest?

#10 YoungBuck88

YoungBuck88

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (sprig45 @ Aug 13 2013, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how do you sign up for this contest?

Go to the sign up thread in the daily posts and enter your birthday and zone. If you are a California A zone hunter, you are too late.

#11 rblocke2

rblocke2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

4 points for the geezers...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f...e=1&theater

#12 ryno_19

ryno_19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Not sure if this counts since I forgot the date I signed up but took this on opener of the Azone. 7 points for whips

Attached Files

• Attached File  Deer.jpg   268.27KB   55 downloads

Dan

hunts4two.com

#13 Dan BTC

Dan BTC

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Doug BTC - 9 points

Attached File  doug4.jpg   212.45KB   52 downloads

#14 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

Blacktailbowhunter 43

#15 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (BlacktailBowhunter @ Aug 21 2013, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blacktailbowhunter 43

[this needs to go on the sign-up thread]

http://blacktailcoun...?showtopic=5045
New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#16 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Put my wife on. Dan is working on her registration.

Skiermary 44

Yes, my wife is a geezer.

#17 Willy

Willy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

6pts to whips from Kole

Attached Files

#18 BIGGCATT88

BIGGCATT88