67 replies to this topic

#1 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

(CHANGES MADE 7/30/16 PLEASE REREAD ALL POSTS ON THIS THREAD AS IT WILL HELP YOU UNXERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE)

Well since no one else has done it here's what's going on...going to use MODIFIED 2014 rules

Below is a list of rules and guideline for everyone to read.

You must be a site member before your hunt starts to enter a kill.

BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR AGE (when your season opens) AND YOUR STATE WHEN POSTING UP YOUR KILL.

Post your kill and story in this thread ONLY and I will add your info and score to the thread titled "Official 2016 Buck Board" please do not reply to that thread as it will be for scoring only.

SCORING SYSTEM.

* The total number of all points (including eye-guards, AKA brow tines) over 1/2 inch long equals your final score. Please try to be as accurate as possible.

* Scoreable point issues will be resolved by being honest and knowing what a half inch is.

* Doe's count as one point

* Beginning in 2007 only the total number of points will be calculated to determine the winning team. It is just to complicated otherwise.

* honesty will go a long way in keeping this a friendly contest without discrepancy.

* Participants will be divided into two teams, the "WhipperSnappers" and the "Geezers".

* The dividing point of the teams will be age 35(that's about the average age split in past contests)

CONTEST GUIDELINES

* You must sign-up for the contest AFTER YOU MAKE YOUR KILL.

*Your age is figured when your season OPENS

*If you live in California, and take a Blacktail in Oregon or Washington, it can still be entered into the contest. This is just an example. This holds true no matter which western state you live in. Only the highest score will be recorded

* Successful entrants scores will be added next to their names on the "Buck Board" as bucks are taken so everyone can keep track of the competition.

* A photo of you with your buck MUST be submitted with your entry to be eligible.

* If an entrant takes a bigger buck later in the season, after already entering a buck, their numbers will be changed to reflect the score of the larger buck.

* If you hunt exclusively in an area that does not hold true Columbian Blacktail, or Sitka Blacktail , you can still enter your buck. This exception only applies to entrants WHO DO NOT HAVE TAGS to hunt Blacktail. It is also limited to bucks taken in their home state.

(With the scoring system counting total points, and not spread, these types of buck will have no effect.)

* In order for a buck to be entered contestants are required to post a photo, their age,state, hunt zone,and a score.

* Numbers will be updated periodically to reflect the current standings.

The start of California's A-zone archery season will be the official start date(7/9/16). And will end after the last blacktail season closes(?/?/16).

As far as the sign ups, teams and captains goes, if you make a kill and post it by following the rules, you will be put on a team and your score will be counted.

No team captains.

Have fun be safe and good luck this season

#2 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

IM ENTERED 

prolly  get skunked again 

and if i get a bear , is that an extra 20 points cause it has a black tail  :P  :D

my edit says 

im 61 

#3 Abourda

Abourda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:15 PM

I'm in.  41 D3-5

I love Mother Nature and I thank her for allowing me the opportunity to explore her land!

Alexander Bourdaniotis

#4 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

this Geezer is in ... opens August 1st in Alaska ... I'll still be 69

#5 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

Congratulations Whippersnappers!!  You have won the contest!

Note: The dividing age in all past contests was decided after all entrants had signed up so that the numbers of hunters on both teams would be near equal.  It usually worked out at about age 33 - - never much above that.  So the number of Whippersnappers in this year's event will be much, much higher than the number of Geezers.  Some statistical advantages can be overcome, but not this one.  Doesn't mean the contest won't be a lot of fun anyway.

Note2:  big bad hunter, Aboura & ropes - Be sure to sign up for the contest again AFTER you make your kill, as required by the rules.

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#6 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

look folks, no body else would set up the contest so I did, if u don't like it, don't participate and Please keep negative comments to yourself.(or start your own contest the way you want it and we can have two contesting contests)

Signing up for a contest after it has already started seems pointless, and wont mean anything as far as the end results go, what I mean is a score of zero doesn't count for or against the final total so not signing up is same as not making a kill.( the same would not hold true if this were a fundraising contest as obviously the more people the more money)

If you purchased your deer tag this year and you are a site member( before your season starts)you are in the contest already, regardless of signing up here or not. However if you are not successful you simply won't be recognized in the contest... basically you are "signing up" your buck, not yourself

If we did teams by mean age now the teams wouldnt be set until the contest ended.

As for this years contest no one gave a hoot until they didn't agree with what was going on. Perhaps the disagreeable people will take charge and make things the way they "should have been"for next year? I was simply trying to get something going for this year...

Here's what it will look like on the "Buck Board"
Age,name,state,zone,score
Example ... 29 meatbuck ca A(north) 7

#7 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:19 PM

I should have phrased it differently.  I am not critical at all; nor do I dislike the contest rules.  I just thought a couple of points should be highlighted.  I get your clarification about sign-up.  Makes sense to me.  It's just that using the words "sign up" in the past was a major requirement to participate and if you did not do so prior to the start of your season, your buck didn't count in the point totals.  Basically, as I now understand it, everyone is in, but they have to 'report' their kill with appropriate details when it happens. It is a better system, actually.  Main purpose being to see hunt results and, hopefully, hear some stories.  Thanks for your efforts.

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#8 5x5

5x5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

33..B zone

#9 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

Good point by rod... Be sure to share your story with your entry, it will make the thread more about the hunt experience than the number of points and so forth.. Story doesn't have to include much info but things like conditions, temperature, public or private, method of take would be good to share, locations not so important.

story not required to make points board

#10 willyman

willyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors from sitting by the pool to sitting under an oak tree waiting for the big boy

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

willyman is in A and B zones cali 52 years young

#11 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

BTW , im hunting  C1 zone again , that nice blacktail/mule cross area 

QUESTION  

have any of you tried those freeze dried foods , dinners , from mountain house ??? walmart has them and i bought a couple for hunt trip this year just to try them . last stuff i had like them were K  rations in the army in mid 70s and they were korean war issue or early viet nam issue . 

i dont back pack , not since boy scouts in 60s but even then always had fresh food with me . i camp in my trailer with refer and freezer so never tried anything else but im trying to lighten my load and get cheaper . 

so , how are those freeze dried foods ???????????????

#12 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

When the first success is posted, please start a new "results" thread, limited to reporting on contest harvest reports.

#13 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Rod...I had planned on it... It will be titled "Official 2016 Buck Board"

Bbh... please start your own threads when you have comments or questions not related to the contest. Thanks.

#14 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

i did comment about contest , everyone else saying their zone so i added mine 

13 comments on the site makes you big guy now i guess 

dont worry , i wont comment on your threads again 

#15 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

Read the rules... Bbh
You enter that info with your kill...

And freeze dried food is not part of the contest...

Tell you what I will do for you bud. I will start you a thread about freeze dried meals.
So pour another cocktail and Check it out

#16 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I've added a few things in the rules, please re read them folks as well as my second post

#17 RGA 4X4

RGA 4X4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

You might end up with more than 5 people entered if you would chill out a little. It's a contest that is supposed to be for fun. People might be a little more receptive to it if you kept it that way.

#18 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

Rga4x4... No one is entered. Read the rules bud.

And again, please keep the negative( or confrontational) comments to yourself... Like you said it's supposed to be a fun contest.

#19 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

Actually, no one has entered yet.  You can only enter by posting a pic of your qualifying buck, with the other required info. Different than in the past.  Since meatbuck was the only one to take on the responsibility, you might say that the contest is supposed to be whatever he comes up with.

2 + 2; now 4 cents.

#20 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Rod...

This contest is not about ME, I just took others suggestions and ran with them... If this becomes a big ordeal (it seems to be headed that way), I will just shut it down or roll it over to someone else to manage...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users