8 points

Attached Files

#42 Babe

Babe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

I got a forked horn yesterday morning in a-zone. Chasing does and running off another smaller buck.Unfortunately I can't seem to get my pics to upload from my iPhone or tablet, so I can't enter the contest. I will try to use my laptop next time I'm in town to see if I can modify the pics or something.

#43 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

House... Please try to add a shot of you with deer (or the horns if you don't have one with the buck)so we can try to keep things in accordance with the rules. Otherwise that's a great lookin buck. Nice work.

Babe... I can't seem to get my pics to upload from iPhone either... Congrats on filling your tag this season

#44 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

Attached File  raw-2~2.jpg   145.39KB   4 downloads

Well what do you know it worked that time... Here's a shot of my buck from A zone. Meatbuck...29, California 4pts.

I had seen this buck a few days before taking him. He was feeding next to a blue baloon that was stuck on a tree branch. He was too far up the hill and the steepness of the terrain wouldn't have produced much edible meat had he fallen and rolled to the bottom, not to mention his antlers would have broken off. So I passed on that shot as light faded... Next time out was a very short trip as I didn't make it out of the driveway until 6pm and had a 40minute drive to get to where I saw him.... Luckily it wasn't long into my hunt when I spotted deer running across the canyon. It was a doe with this buck in hot persuit. They headed down hill and fast. I had to move quickly down the hill to my left in order to keep them in view. Before long they were out of sight near the creekbed. I finally got to an overlooking cliff and got my pack in position to shoot from. I watched as they drank water for about 5 minutes. The steepness of the bank they were on was the determining factor as to when I could shoot. I had to wait for him to come out if the water so he wouldnt die and float away but also not get too far up hill and then die and roll back into the water. So as the doe headed up the hill he took about 5steps from the water and stopped. I anchored him right there.

That was only the start of things to follow. It was now getting dark and I had to go assess what I needed to do and get in order to safely retrieve him. After finding a spot where I could get clear access from the road edge to the water I decided I needed about 150 ft of rope and a life jacket as well as an extra hand to help pull the buck up to the road. So I went back down to cell phone service and called my ol lady. She was in town and could go to Wal-Mart for rope as well as bring the life jacket that was in her car. But was hung up at a fundraiser until 9pm. So I went back home to get some things like dinner and dry clothes and ratchet straps. She got home about 9:30 or so and we loaded up and headed back up to get the buck. Now after ten when we get back to the buck. I tied the ropes together and to the guardrail and used them to get down to the waters edge. The current was swift and the water loud and dark. I had my headlamp on and depth perception was difficult to judge. So I went in slow but pushed off with my feet to get some extra momentum and upon entering the water my hip hit a large rock and I was quickly headed down stream towards the rapids. I paddled and kicked my way across reaching the other side on my belly. After the swim it was about 50 yards down stream to the buck through loose rock and shale. Got him dragged back upstream of my landing point in order to have more of an angle to swim back as well as enough swing to pull the buck back across with a rope. So tied the rope to his head and let the slack go down stream as I held the other end. I then waded out until I started getting swept down then started swimming for the rock I'd originally come from. The Water was too swift and pushed me away from the rock as I reached out for it. Missing that I looked downstream for another landing. This time the current wasn't forcing away from the rock and I was able to get a hand on it and then slowly pull myself up. I was heavy from all the water in my boots and pants but luckily made it across with rope in hand. Next I pulled the buck into the water and hand lined him across only to have him get hung up on a rock just out of reach. I let some slack out and the current pulled him away and clear of the rock and right to me. Next challenge was the rattlesnake lased boulders at the waters edge. Dragging him through those was strenuous and menally taxing once a snake started to buzz under a rock a few feet away. Finally I reached the end of the rope and got him tied up.

From there it was almost two hours dragging him inch by inch up the steep loose hill to the road. I had to kick out foot holds almost every step and as I'd lift the deers head the ol lady would pull the rope tight. But we came to a spot that we couldn't make it past so I got out 3 ratchet straps and hooked em together and to the buck and started using them like mini come along until we reached the top. By then we were exhausted. We cleaned up all the ropes and straps then drug him to the truck and loaded him on the rack. It was 1am. We made it home about 1:45 and I started gutting and cleaning him to hang overnight(more like for a couple hours until the flys started coming out). By the time I got him taken care of and then showered it was 4am...the same time my alarm went off to hunt the morning before. (I havnt stayed up for 24hours since I used to party.) And then was up at 9am to quarter him and get him in the fridge. Aged the meat just over a week and it is goooooooood. Extra good! Aside from the bruised hip and sore muscles for a few days it was good clean fun.

#45 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

Tougher the task, the better the taste for sure....Congrats on number 1 this year.

#46 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Thanks

#47 Babe

Babe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

Here it is... Babe 27 california, A zone. 4 points
Attached File  raw-3~2~2.jpg   102.43KB   5 downloads

#48 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

House... Please try to add a shot of you with deer (or the horns if you don't have one with the buck)so we can try to keep things in accordance with the rules. Otherwise that's a great lookin buck. Nice work.

Some people (myself included) feel that including the hunter in a photo comes across as arrogantly dominating the 'quarry' in a way which characterizes it more as a trophy, than the final chapter in the innate hunting, sustenance experience. [not very well worded, but maybe gives some of the sense of what I mean]

Great hunting story, meatbuck.  Brings the reader right into the feeling of being there.

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#49 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

Some people (myself included) feel that including the hunter in a photo comes across as arrogantly dominating the 'quarry' in a way which characterizes it more as a trophy, than the final chapter in the innate hunting, sustenance experience. [not very well worded, but maybe gives some of the sense of what I mean]

I've never heard this before.

It was just one of the old rules that I adopted for this year's contest,wasn't meant to offend anybody.

#50 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:58 AM

Not offended; just prefer not to include my picture with my buck (if any) for the reason given.  The hunter's personal photo wasn't a requirement when the contest first started, but has been part of the rules for several years.  It has been "violated" quite a bit.  I have sometimes 'complied' by including just my hand in the photo.

Attached File  ski2015.jpg   113.59KB   8 downloads

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#51 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

There's something to be said about everything I guess... Good luck with whatever your venture may be this season.

#52 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

We're all tied up on the "Buck Board"... 8-8

Anyone else have points for the board?

#53 applegatecontractor

applegatecontractor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

argh! I need to take "Photo Post 101" my Wife and I both have forked horns hangin in the well house and my brother in laws 3x2 with eyegaurds is in there too. All Oregon rifle bucks.

Been following the SOCHI winter olympics. Still haven't seen the late season blacktail hunt…... :wacko:

#54 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

argh! I need to take "Photo Post 101" my Wife and I both have forked horns hangin in the well house and my brother in laws 3x2 with eyegaurds is in there too. All Oregon rifle bucks.

I had to email the pics from my iPhone to the tablet thing then crop them down until they would work on btc. It's a pain in the ass but that's how I did it... Otherwise it would say internal server error

#55 Roadkill

Roadkill

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Killing a damn blacktail

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

Great hunting story, meatbuck.  Brings the reader right into the feeling of being there.

Whaaaat, I have never in my life heard anyone say that including yourself in a pic with a animal you killed comes off as "arrogant and dominating" Some of my favorite pictures are of my kids with deer they have killed. That is just a bazaar line of thought.
The harder you hunt, the luckier you will get.

#56 applegatecontractor

applegatecontractor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

Copy that Roadkill! We've taken a lot of pictures of animals we've killed, and they've never been intended to be arrogantly dominant…. But yes it is true, we are the predator and they are the prey. And in the last few years we've made an attempt to only take pictures of cleaned up deer, baby wipes for cleaning off the blood and staging the shot to show the buck in a "natural" laying pose, only difference from alive is  is we are holding up their heads.

Been following the SOCHI winter olympics. Still haven't seen the late season blacktail hunt…... :wacko:

#57 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

Let's see em

#58 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

64 Rod, Oregon Rifle - 3  (tried doing a '[selfie', but my image blocked the spork)

Attached File  1x2Sild.jpg.JPG   192.84KB   12 downloads

Attached File  1x2PU.jpg.JPG   214.59KB   8 downloads

#59 KillerBeee

KillerBeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

Dave 52 y/o. Washington

10 points with the eye guards.

Attached Files

#60 House

House

• Members