43 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Quality Blacktails

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

After 20 years and maximum points, I drew an M11 tag for the B1 zone in CA.  Anyone have experience with using doe estrus scents, rattling, etc.?  This is my first late season tag.   I have a couple of B&C blacktails and am hoping to find another to hang on the wall.  Any input appreciated.  Thanks! 

#2 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

thats a great draw , heard of some nice bucks and seen lots driving thru 

carry lots of anti marijuana spray , its heart of their area 

dont know anyone personally that hunted it or owns property 

hope you can get great smoke pole big buck , keep us posted 

and if you need one , i have a .50 cal trappers pistol to use for self defense and extra shot if needed 

#3 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

The good news is it's November 12th - 27th so the pot should be long gone by then.  I see you are from the Clear Lake area.  What are your thoughts about the Covelo area?  I hear there are some good bucks in the country.

#4 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

i have never hunted covelo area . season is same time as my C1 zone and i hunt with family up there usually .

had a friend that hunted west of covelo but she is long gone now but remember her saying that they almost always filled their 40 some odd tags during bow and rifle season . wish i could remember where in national forest she hunted or camped but its been too many years . she also knew i was bear hunter and said lots of bear killed in and around their camp and area . they had out fitters tent and camp set up at end of july and didnt tear it down till after rifle season in october . i remember the camp details and her saying lots big bucks and tiny ones but thats about all the details i remember , sorry 

#5 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

Lucky sob... Well if you don't take that tag to the covelo area I'd say you are wasting an opportunity of a lifetime...

As for rattling and scents, you won't need them if you cover enough ground and use your binoculars... By that time of year even the biggest bucks around will stand next to the road and let you have your shot.

Three things going for you, no other hunters, rut and snow... Recipe for a wall hanger.

#6 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:13 AM

Thanks guys...I told my wife I needed a new gun since it might be my only opportunity at a CA late season tag.  I bought a CVA Accura V2 with the Bergarra barrel.  Now it's time to work up a load that suits the gun.  Going to start next weekend.

#7 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:21 AM

i used to take out on opening morn rifle season the rifle in my avi pic . 54 hawkin and used same amount black powder as rondy shooting 80 grains and used black belt bullet . they are hollowpoints with a plastic belt on base that works great with rifling in barrel . at 100 yards it shot 1 inch lower than if i shot round ball at a rondy . thats an easy compensation and i didnt need any site adjustment . 

only tried hunting on opening morning when bucks were scared and running 

#8 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:44 AM

I love shooting black powder although not as primitive or purist as you, 

big bad hunter 

#9 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

dont need to be primitive to enjoy rendezvous shooting , just need old fashioned cap & ball rifle and or pistol , no inlines allowed . 

about half the shooters at rondys also shoot black powder for hunting and  you could learn lots just by  visiting a rondy . 

most rendezvous  in nor cal are from march till july and scattered everywhere . i know of about 15 or more locations north of modesto san fran area 

if interested in visiting one i could prolly give a schedule for next years events as most this year already over 

#10 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Would love to see a schedule.  Thanks!

#11 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

http://azitis1970.com/bevents.htm  this is this years events , if you look at calendar for each event , they usually fall each year on same weekend . IE;  second saturday , or third saturday or in case of jed smith tall trees rondy on 4th of july week . 

my club is trout creek rondy or mt. shasta long rifles . our rondy is second saturday in june each year . 

some shoots you need to be invited to , most are open to the public to watch, and camp and shoot if you want .  

if you stick around this site i should have 2017 schedule starting about feb or march next year 

and i forgot , its my edit 

i cant guarantee against any pop ups the page itself is fine dont  click on any links on that page 

i have got a few in the past , sorry 

#12 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

Wow!!!  I had no idea there were that many events.   A friend of mine was involved with the Stoney Creek group out of Corning and I remember him talking about Lizard Camp.  If you remember when it comes out, please post next years schedule.  Appreciate the info!!!

#13 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

you will have to stick around and remind me about feb. 1 for the new list of rondy dates . maybe i can find a more click and user friendly one somewhere . 

#14 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, carpentry

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

I don't know much about the tag itself, but I hunted up off F7 road.  Never made it where I wanted to go.  I wanted to go down to Keller place and Carpenter place but never got there.  Those areas are on google earth, and from what I understand there are some dandy bucks pulled out of there.  I think that is in your hunt area.  Also,  maybe look at the Sanhedrin wilderness and Yuki wilderness.  From the sound of it you don't need a whole lot of help getting big bucks though.  Cheers

#15 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

bucksnducks  Thanks for the info!!!  I have a lot of scouting to do between now and November. 

#16 Upcedarcreek

Upcedarcreek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

Two of the biggest blacktail bucks I've seen were driving from the 101 to I-5 over 162/FH7 a few years ago

on the 5th of November.  Both times I pulled over when I saw a group of 20 or so does and waited.  Both times within

10 minutes or so the big buck tending the does showed himself...That day we almost didn't make it over FH7, as it had started to snow...

It stormed for three days, and they close the FH7 part of the road (unpaved) for the winter once it snows.  I'm sure we were the last vehicle over that road that winter.

#17 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Upcedarcreek

Were you on the Glenn County or Mendocino County side?  Several people have told me to hunt the Covelo area. The season opens November 12th and runs through the 27th so they should be in the rut.  

#18 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

I know it shouldn't be this difficult but how do I share my photos???  

#19 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

below comment box is  MORE REPLY OPTIONS , click that and it takes you to another page where you can attach pics 

although pic size says 20 mb each , you may need to downsize them 

not all mine go first time full size 

#20 Hooptd

Hooptd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, family, fantasy football

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:12 PM

Let's see them pics! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users