lets start 2017

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

well howdy again , long time no see  :(

rain finally stopped a couple days ago . clearlake just below flood stage and dropping .

rivers been high , streams overflowing  and mud everywhere you look , except hopefully not  inside .

took pup out to cache creek today for a run . it had flooded there so lots of mud near normal walk near creek so took alternate on trail hike for 3 miles . creek is high , fast and muddy so kept pup away although he did wander into wide slower part a few times . didnt see any animals or fresh tracks but could have been cause of all the rain and tracks washed away .  i did see thousands of mourning doves , but only thing open now is quail and wabbits and didnt see any of those . 

pup been cooped up too long in all this rain so hopefully start getting him out lots more now that rain will start slowing down.

seems lots snow around shasta . ski resort has 120 inches as i type on top the mountain and yreka has had lots of snow , lots more than normal . even interstate 5 been shut down between oregon and redding lots with all the snow . saw on a blog somewhere last week saying over 20 feet of snow on road going over lassen . but i dont look at lassen web site , dont go there no more . 

anyway , its mid winter , HOW YALL DOING ?????

#2 applegatecontractor

applegatecontractor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

Good here. Had two feet of snow and that messed up the work schedule for a lot of us. Haven't seen much deer lately, but my buddy got a pic of a nice four point with a half rack. Just about time to do some shed huntin. Gotta report for Oregon before the end of JANUARY!!!!!!!!!! Or face the $25 fine. 

Been following the SOCHI winter olympics. Still haven't seen the late season blacktail hunt…... :wacko:

#3 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

I've been scouting with 5 trail cams for an additional tag that opens September 1st. Hoping to find and monitor a buck through the season. Some of the smaller bucks have shed already

#4 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

bowhunter 

wish i could check my hunt area but dont have snowmobile for the 10 foot deep snow in camp 

no deer back up in the high country yet anyway . they all getting on freeway near yreka and getting runned over according to highway patrol reports 

#5 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

bowhunter 
wish i could check my hunt area but dont have snowmobile for the 10 foot deep snow in camp 
no deer back up in the high country yet anyway . they all getting on freeway near yreka and getting runned over according to highway patrol reports 

Are there any decent public land areas for a non resident in Northern California? I've always wanted to harvest a CA Blacktail.

#6 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

bowhunter

there are lots of public lands that are really good hunting . most are NOT draw zones but bow hunting also has lots of special draw zones as does rifle .

dont know why you would want to hunt here , non-resident fees are way high 

non-resident license last year  $ 163.65 ; first tag non-resident $276.05 and second tag non-resident $276.05 

draw apps have to be in by june 2 

#7 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

Public land here in California is as good for residents as it is anyone else... bottom line, put in some time scouting an area of your choice, find the deer, then go hunting.
There's no greater disadvantage to a non resident versus a resident. Other than distance traveled and the time you're able to be in the field.
Hunting a new area is always a gamble, could strike out, could find a buck of a lifetime.

#8 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

bowhunter
there are lots of public lands that are really good hunting . most are NOT draw zones but bow hunting also has lots of special draw zones as does rifle .
dont know why you would want to hunt here , non-resident fees are way high 
non-resident license last year  $ 163.65 ; first tag non-resident $276.05 and second tag non-resident $276.05 
draw apps have to be in by june 2 

It's another season to harvest a deer.

#9 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

welp bowhunter 

here are calif  2016 regs  http://www.fgc.ca.go...alregs.aspx#361

under big game you will find archery if thats what your looking for and all the bow hunting regs and areas .

now that was last years . 2017 regs wont be out till may 2017 . they have final approval meeting in april 2017 but last years regs will give you a good idea 

#10 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

i should add 

under general season any zone you can use any weapon you want be it rifle , pistol ,bow or muzzleloader .

all others are weapon specific . and cross bows are only in rifle area , not archery . 

#11 BlacktailBowhunter

BlacktailBowhunter

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

welp bowhunter 
here are calif  2016 regs  http://www.fgc.ca.go...alregs.aspx#361
under big game you will find archery if thats what your looking for and all the bow hunting regs and areas .
now that was last years . 2017 regs wont be out till may 2017 . they have final approval meeting in april 2017 but last years regs will give you a good idea 

Thanks. I will take a look.

#12 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

anyone up to some fishing in clearlake 

dont even need to leave your car or truck

Attached Files

#13 Bigbuck

Bigbuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Quality Blacktails

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

All this moisture should mean plenty of feed this year and make for healthy antler growth.  

#14 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

All the animals are loving this weather probably, especially the Ducks & Geese.

But lots of green will mean lots of brown which could mean lots of fire.

#15 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

all the green turns brown here by june anyway , nothing will change that unless  we start getting summer rains like they do back east 

#16 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

in the middle of calif. X1 deer zone 

little mt. hofman near medicine lake 

Attached Files

#17 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

BBH!!!

Is that you 3/4 way up the hill?

#18 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

that would have been fun 

i never been on snowmobile and never been on 20' deep snow 

i can only dream of that fun 

#19 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing thats all there is !!!!!!!!!!

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

I had my boat all ready to go in lake county lol still lots of flooding around the lake and now no boats allowed on the lake for 2 months  :( bored with no winter fishing this year on the lake. 

MADDOG RULES LOL and Make the first shot count,Blacktail Identification expert LOL and population control professionalist LOL

#20 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

No boats? Or no power boats?
Either way I bet you could get into some crappie and bass under the neighbors jungle gym or around the Webber BBQ. Try Flipping backdoors and porches. Target the new structure from a kayak or canoe on a calm day.

Turkey season is only a month away... time to start following them around with binos anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users