6 replies to this topic

#1 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Shortly after my last post I retired, then four days later ended up in the hospital.  Long story short my hunting style is now a bit different.  There's nothing more boring than hearing old guys talk about their health so I won't elaborate.  You know me though, I can't post without leaving a picture.  Just a little buck hanging out in the shade.  Attached File  DSC_8775.jpg   135.41KB   2 downloads

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#2 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:01 PM

Hunting styles evolve.  The best thing is that you're still hunting.  Might want to look into a Weyerhaeuser lease or permit.  Good luck in 2017.

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#3 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Rod, hunting Weyerhaeuser east of town has always been a family tradition.  One of my inlaws favorite stories is about six bucks down opening morning, on "buck hill", before 9:00 a.m. Probably not too far from where you hunt, Harness Mt. area.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#4 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

howdy again 

remember back 30 years ago when you used to walk cross country , over mountains and down them canyons . remember when you got one you had to drag it back over those mountains and thru those canyons to get back to the roads . 

remember seeing those old farts sitting 100 yards off roads or in their trucks glassing hillsides and chuckling to yourself saying that no way to hunt .then remember driving past old farts camps and almost always seeing deer hanging . 

older with medical problems and retired means WE are now those old guys we used to snicker at . 

change of hunting method is all thats needed . maybe a quad is needed or maybe just a comphy chair on the other side of those trees and sit back and watch all them young squirts scare all them bucks right into your shooting lane . 

#5 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

Good to hear from you Brighteyes .... at our age it is usually better than the alternative. I hear the dirt nap is a long one.

Any way I hope you are well enough to get in some quality (as quality as possible) time in your favorite places.

Good luck this fall.

#6 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the inspiration guys.  Yep, I've always been better at hiking than hunting so maybe slowing down will be a blessing.

My frustrations haven't changed much.  I'm a 100% Blacktail guy but after moving across town don't get many photo ops.  Just as a comparison, here's a couple photos.  The dinky Blacktail heading for cover in the normal tilted terrain.  Then the respectable Whitetail, broadside, down in the flat, gawking at the camera, without a care. Now which one do you think is the smartest?  It's pretty cool being able to compare the two side by side.

Attached File  bti.jpg   145.17KB   2 downloads

Attached File  wti.jpg   75.06KB   2 downloads

#7 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing thats all there is !!!!!!!!!!

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

hey Brighteyes bud since my back went bad on me about 5 yrs ago it took me oh 1 buck kill to get over having to sit and watch more then trucking out to find them,I find myself seeing more deer and little bucks by sitting more then out busting brush. The only thing that still gets me is I can not pack them bucks anymore so I carry 2 - 100 foot ropes in my jeep LOL and 2 yrs ago I had to use those ropes and my jeep to drag a 3X3 out of the brush and up a hill to the road I was on.I had to have 2 other old guys at camp also help me put that heavy buck in my jeep, I am finding that the older i get the smarter I have to hunt I'm just hoping with my back and copd I can keep on hunting till one day they find me sitting up next to a tree LOL 

MADDOG RULES LOL and Make the first shot count,Blacktail Identification expert LOL and population control professionalist LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users