• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 klamathsteel

klamathsteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:39 PM

Scott Valley, where i live,  just south and west of Yreka. In this valley there are more cattle than people

and a thriving elk herd. We're screwed  :angry:

Attached Files

#2 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

has tracking collar 

either its one they captured and placed collar on or its one that fish & wildlife says they dont release in calif. 

hope something kills and eats it 

is that your trail cam ????? 

with all the fires last year in that area , wouldnt surprise me they all around the ranches for easier meals

#3 klamathsteel

klamathsteel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

Not my trail cam but i know whoes it is. It's a very small valley.

#4 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:24 PM

i have a cousin that moved into that area 2 years ago . not sure where yet but i want to visit her . she and hubby bought 450 acres and father in law bought another 450 acre parcel next to it . they are hunters but got their money to buy it from illegal pot in humboldt . 

it dont make em bad hunters , just stoopid . 

but , im gonna try to visit them this summer if i get a chance and then ask about B zone extra tag besides my C zone tag

#5 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunten and Fishen

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

​I logged years ago out of Etna & Callahan and down Sawyers Bar way. There is a lot of remote rugged country back in there. There is plenty of room in that country for a few Wolfs. 

​I always thought that would be the natural route that they would disperse thru .... once OR-7 made it down into Cali. In the future they will populate thru there over to the coastal area and probably spread north into the Oregon coastal mountains. Another very remote low human populated area. 

​The game Dept hasn't planted any Wolfs down there. They don't need to. That is probably an old Oregon collar on that Wolf. 

​You guys will be able to buy an Oregon Wolf tag one of these days. 

#6 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

Hopefully, the wolves prefer metropolitan areas for easier prey and they gravitate toward downtown Portland and similar areas.

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#7 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Ha ... remember OR-7 went into Redding twice and even into Ashland ... he must not have cared for Cat or Dog because he left. And was traveling stealth as no one ever sighted him. 

I think it was his sons pack that just killed that Llama over between Prospect & Butte Falls. 

They are smart. Even get smarter when you hunt & trap them. 

#8 scott63

scott63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

That is a bummer. 3 wolves just killed some cattle down in Taylorsville which is about 20 miles SE of Susanville as the crow flies, and there have been others seen in the town limits of Chester. One day in the not so distant future they will get to where the Tule elk herd is and start eating them. Then CDFW will have to choose.

#9 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

i have friends that work in logging industry . some truck drivers , some loggers and a couple mechanics . they are out there sometimes around the clock . they talked about seeing bear released and lion and its usually only one truck and a couple people , maybe 2 trucks . 

but almost all have seen convoys of state vehicles and 3 or 4 fish & wildlife trap vehicles . they go out dead end roads and leave a guard behind to keep everyone out . then my friends say they start hearing about wolf sightings or see them themselves . 

commifornia officials lie and say they not releasing any . you just cant get that many packs all over nor cal from one or 2  crazy stragglers in that short amount of time . 

#10 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

​In Oregon the Game Dept keeps a current map of the Wolf packs and their ranges. It is available to the public. They also have regular email updates on Wolf action.

​OR-7 crossed into Cali in Dec 2011 ... then came back to Oregon and found a mate and denned. Plenty of time to establish several packs in NoCal since then. Wolfs disperse and start new packs ... that's what they do. 

​In 2015 the Shasta pack had 5 pups. The Shasta packs alpha are related to OR-7 but not his pups. One of his pups moved in and became the Lassen pack and had 3 pups in 2017. 

​Even as they say the Oregon Wolfs are decendents from the 1995 IdeeHoe transplant ... I believe some were natural dispersers that have moved from Southern BC into Washington / Idaho and into NE Oregon. The pack that OR-7 came from, Imnaha pack, is history as they became livestock killers and Oregon biologists & ranchers took the pack out. 

#11 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

i dont believe anything that comes from government officials when it comes to animal tracking . 

they know where the collars are 24 / 7 and will alter tracking so its not wolfs that kill sheep or calves or pets in remote ranches. 

i rely on trustworthy friends reports more and to me they are more believable than government lars . 

i have heard some reports from both that are the same but from different sources  .

#12 ropes

ropes

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

This is what happens in Oregon when Wolfs don't behave themselves. 

Update April 11, 2018

ODFW staff who were already in the area hazing wolves shot and killed an uncollared yearling female wolf of the Pine Creek Pack yesterday afternoon on the private land where previous depredations occurred. Staff shot from the ground (no aircraft were involved).

http://www.dfw.state...ram_updates.asp

#13 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

https://www.wildlife...mmals/gray-wolf  this is all commifornia has 

notice wolf activity map only has lassen area even though reports in siskiyou county come in on a monthly basis with trail cams and videos . ive seen anout 5 or so accounts in just the last year and some posted on here . but calif says they not around . 

#14 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

cant copy & paste from western outdoor news digital edition but i can take a pic of their articles . 

lassen wolves kill calf 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users