7 replies to this topic

#1 Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Anyone know if the public can get permits to hunt on the reservation to hunt deer?

"Hunting has many gradations and varieties and, in the end, is a highly personal experience. There is no distinction among hunters. We should not dare to create one.” Shane Mahoney

#2 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

https://www.rvit.org/about.php   contact them and ask 

in the mean time read the news in that area and willits and mendocino county . 

i wont even drive to that town , too many bad guys with guns and pot growers 

it is the wild wild west the way it used to be and law enforcement hours and hours away

#3 Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Wow that sounds crazy.  Looks like a lot of good blacktail habitat from Google Earth.  I will give the reservation a call and see what they have to say.  Thanks for the info BBH.

"Hunting has many gradations and varieties and, in the end, is a highly personal experience. There is no distinction among hunters. We should not dare to create one.” Shane Mahoney

#4 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

national forest land around there is great hunting , just dont get too close to ranches or what looks like crop areas . 

lots of friends used to have great success but i never knew where other than 5000 feet or higher. 

i've lived most of my 62 years 40 miles from there ( as the crow flies ) but dad never took us there . always took us up in the high country of the north east corner of calif. down to susanville  and over to just east of mt shasta . 

there have been others on here talk about hunting it so maybe some will give better advise . 

#5 Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

I have some spots marked in and out of the wilderness fairly close by there.  Just going to take a few years to see which spots are better like anywhere else.  

#6 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

https://www.fs.usda....4435&width=full  not sure if you know about road restrictions in calif. national forests . all national forests starting with calif. first have to develope travel management system . roads can only be used by allowed vehicles and not all roads can be driven on . 

this web site is for travel management maps for mendo . natl. forest . the north and north central are the area around where your looking to go . its  PDF format and on my puter i can zoom in real close for road numbers . 

also you can order maps from that site and have them mailed to you 

#7 Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

https://www.fs.usda....4435&width=full  not sure if you know about road restrictions in calif. national forests . all national forests starting with calif. first have to develope travel management system . roads can only be used by allowed vehicles and not all roads can be driven on . 

this web site is for travel management maps for mendo . natl. forest . the north and north central are the area around where your looking to go . its  PDF format and on my puter i can zoom in real close for road numbers . 

also you can order maps from that site and have them mailed to you 

Thank you for the info.  I was going to look up if you need a permit just to go on public land here in CA.  Seems like you have to pay money for everything down here.  

#8 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:41 AM

no permit needed in national forests 

but some wildlife areas owned by state of calif are charging a fee . but its free with valid ca. hunting license .

there may be a wilderness permit required for wilderness areas but i dont know about them , only seen them when getting a camp fire permit which is required in national forests  WHEN CAMP FIRES ARE ALLOWED . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users