5 replies to this topic

#1 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

We were headed up to the high country, for a hike. My daughter, two sons, and a couple extras, were all set for a good work out to explore the Dry Creek "Indian Caves". I had been warned about the rock on that road "sharp as arrow heads", but you know how it is. Anything for a little adventure. All was going well, until I hit a little trench in the road just a little too hard. It wasn't even noticeable at first, but soon I could feel the back end swaying a little. Then swaying a lot! I thought, this can't be happening to me. Two flat tires at the same time, a long long ways from anywhere, and a whole car full of kids. There was nothing to do but start taking the flats off. In that remote country I was amazed when we heard a vehicle making it's way up the steep grade in our direction. You can't imagine the relief I felt, when the driver stopped to give us a hand. We were still in a jam, cause we only had one spare, and our rescuer had a very small vehicle. I handed my daughter the handgun, knowing she was tough enough to handle the situation. Headed to the nearest gas station (back when gas stations fixed tires) I was floored when he told me his story. It seems that earlier in the morning he'd had a run in with a couple mountain lions! And where do you suppose this confrontation took place? Just shortly past where my kids were! It was too late by then to insist that we go back immedietely. When he'd been confronted by the two cats he'd been bird hunting. One started toward him, so he fired over their heads, to no avail. It came on, as if nothing had happened, while the other one held it's ground.
When we got back the kids were O.K., so I grabbed the camera and went with him to check it out. The look on his face was surprise, when the cat wasn't where he left it. We followed the drag marks down the steep hill about fifty yards before we found it. Whatever dragged it down the hill, had devoured one shoulder while we were gone. I don't know much about shot guns, but the shot pattern on that cougar was awful small.
I didn't tell all the kids the whole story right away, but you should have seen the look on my daughters face when she asked me about the blood on my hand, something I hadn't noticed when I turned the cat over.
I'll see if I can get the photos on the same page as the writing. A couple were taken on a later trip, and yes we had a flat tire that time too.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#2 huntinfreak

huntinfreak

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and dirt bikes

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

Those are the outings the kids wont forget,ya always remember the ones that go wrong.I imagine they feel they were almost eaten by a cat.
gotta love oregon

#3 shedhorn

shedhorn

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Family

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:58 AM

Good read, thanks for taking the time to share it
It's tough to push a rope.

#4 Antelope Eyes

Antelope Eyes

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • Interests:I love church,family,hunting,fishing,horses,Labrador Retrievers,gardening,and cutting firewood.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

Wow,that was a good and very unusual story.
When the fog cleared I could not believe it,there he was.............

#5 Dan BTC

Dan BTC

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Great story and photos. I'm sure no one will forget that trip.

#6 PWS Fred

PWS Fred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

What a wild story. Those are some nice old pictures too. Darn flats....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users