2 replies to this topic

#1 Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

This recent report given at the Wyoming Game and Gish Commission meeting on Jan. 18, 2018 is very informative and worth your time. Proceed to about the 1 hour and 55 minute mark, it lasts about 60 minutes.  This research can relate to blacktail deer as well.

"Hunting has many gradations and varieties and, in the end, is a highly personal experience. There is no distinction among hunters. We should not dare to create one.” Shane Mahoney

#2 Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

Too bad there isn't a short extract containing the key, valuable points.  At my age I am constitutionally incapable of listening to committees, long verbal reports and meetings.  Drives me absolutely crazy.

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#3 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

only thing i saw relating to blacktail is the need for winter feed and although he didnt mention it , need to eliminate predators . his grafs showed predator kills . 

the wintering areas are way different , at least in calif. we dont have sub zero temps and 5-10 feet of snow on ground in wintering areas . 

fawn survival is key in both places . predators kill lots in the graf he used and they can kill them there , wolves and cats . we cant here so i could just imagine our deer/fawn  survival rate if we could kill em again . 

maybe the article relates to blacktail in the area you came from but very little of it is true in nor cal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users