#1 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

Anyone doin any good in these zones?

I'm headed up for the first time to d3 near bucks lake per big bads advice... We'll see how things go. Fingers crossed.

#2 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:30 PM

Hell, Oregon's rifle season hasn't even opened yet!

New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#3 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hunted around the three lakes area as well as bald eagle mountain for little activity in the way of deer... Lots of bear sign around but saw more hunters than deer... One small fork was killed in the road just as snow started but otherwise the general consensus from talking with others was low deer numbers especially compared to the number of hunters... I think most people were waiting for the snow so they could road hunt but I hiked around for a day and a half and saw two does. Then moved locations and saw three deer not including the buck I saw killed on road... Saw very few tracks in snow as I drove down the mountain. Did not see a single deer while driving.

Things may have been different if I had been able to stay and hunt another day er two... As the deer would likely been feeding in the sun to try to dry off and get warm.

#4 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

Bring on the weather... Next week should be the turning point in the world of migratory deer in California.

#5 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

Warm storm didn't have any deer migrating around bucks lake area but I managed to see 30+ deer between Thursday afternoon and Saturday evening... Two spikes and a spork were the only bucks I saw. Went ahead and put a tag on a decent meatbuck... Luckily the heavy rain washed the milk from his lips before anyone saw it...

Tagged out in California for 2016 deer... Hope to get a bear and or a hog before the end of the year.... Fingers crossed.

#6 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

So you gonna give that bear tag a shot up around Bucks at all this year? My son had to buy a bear tag after killing a lil buck....D3-5 deer tags had sold out on the 14th n he took on the 15th. I'll prob head up a time or two more to look to fill his tag and cut some wood.

I've hunted the area you were checking out for 22 years now...believe we crossed paths out 3 lakes way a coupla times this year (big ugly powerstroke with mixed match campershell).

#7 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:39 PM

Yup I saw you... no I probly won't make it back up there this year, I sheared off the input shaft between my tcases up in Mendocino national forest Sunday morning while road hunting in the rain for bear,quail,squirrel and hog... luckily we were in a camp with a restroom (for shelter)and just enough cell service to patch together a call but my buddies had google maps directions that lead them the opposite direction about 30 min down a narrow washed out forest service road and the car trailer was sliding all over hell so they abandoned it before almost running out of fuel. They didn't have any cell phone service once they hit the hills so without any communication they weren't able to find us... however they tried again after motorcycle riders gave them a map and enough gas to get back to the valley to refuel and call me to tell me what had happened. Long story short they showed up ten hours after I first called them and took me and my ol lady home. We spent yesterday recovering the trailer and my 4runner... duck season is here and I'm gonna be focusing on that and getting my rig back on the road.

#8 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

Well good luck with that yota!  Bangin some ducks is always fun after holding the deer rifle in silence for most a season. I'll let you know if that blonde shouldered bruin shows himself on Bald Eagle. Not your typical "Yoggies" up there.

#9 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

i saw a half blonde sow with two cubs up there feeding heavy in the brush that Thursday before I killed that last buck... she was pretty in the sun. Wish she hadn't had the youngins but oh well... next year I may try that area again. My shitty rain gear prevented me from walking around much up there the last trip up.

#10 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

My boy took his sporky Saturday of that weekend storm at noon. Took back to camp n proceeded to dress out in the heaviest moment of the storm. Heavy downpour and about a 40mph wind it seemed. Branches falling all around us, which I freakin hate, and whitecaps smashing together on Lower Bucks. After hung under tarp and camp flooded n still flowing, Erik n I jumped in the truck about 10lbs. heavier with water and cranked up the heater. Wasn't gonna try fooling with a fire at that point.

This season in D3 was the wettest my son has experienced. He's been going with me since he carried binos at 9 and will be 19 in a month. This years "against natures ways" type season has been a builder for him as a young outdoorsmen. Right on for starting this thread toward an area I'm not sure many here hunt.

And about them bears....many "old timers" swear theres still a bloodline/strain of grizzly around there. In years, many bear I've seen are more of a high ass, very stalky build. Like a suped up Volkswagon! Brown with twice as long blonde hair between the shoulders. Rarely have seen the black, long-legged yoggy type.

#11 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

I saw a guy launch a boat that weekend at bucks... white caps and all. I snagged the camp host spot at the recreation area. Since I was sleeping in my rig I used some of their boards to level out my 4runner and propped a piece of plywood against the frame so I could fire my stove out of the wind... my 4runner was rocking in the wind all night long, was like sleeping in a boat on water.

I saw your camp, it looked pretty soggy on that Friday... camping near the trees had me spooked since the wind was howling across the lake. I almost parked in the middle of the open parking lot at the rec area but it wasn't flat enough to sleep...

After dragging that buck to the road and loading it I was soaked too... made sure I had nothing left to do outside before I quickly stripped my rain gear off and jumped in the rig, fired the defrost and headed down the hill towards home. The 4 cup holders on top of my ice chest filled with water after having set my wet jacket on it for the ride home... was a nasty couple days but my freezer sure is a lot more full than it had been.

Depending on the draw next year I might get another tag for that area... we'll see.

#12 Knokemdead

Knokemdead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

I have a boat load of stories about weather up there....but that camp you saw....I lost a canopy that my kids bought for Fathers Day that Thursday night. It wasn't all to bad when I lay down that night but woke to a destroyed new canopy. A lotta water and and good gust is all it took to snap structure in 3 spots but oh well.

I gotta say...I was a bit embarrassed that morning. Kinda like having the shittiest front yard on your block feeling. Good luck on your future hunts.

#13 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

Same to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users