5 replies to this topic

#1 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

That old gun had been handed down in his family for awhile. The stock was worn on the edges, bluing nearly non-existent. It was a .32 special, which set it apart slightly from the millions of pre-64 Winchester 94's produced in .30/.30. When you held it, it was like an extension of your arm rather than a tool, light and the action was oh so smooth, from the years of wear.

He is now my x-son-in-law, but he was a successful hunter. We'd made that hunt before, dragging a buck off that hill. Most hunters would pass that area by on their way to higher ground, where the next house was a long ways. It was only 3/4s of a mile or so through to the main road but was a perfect bedding area, with chest high ferns and benches under the tall firs. In the fields at the bottom you were more likely to see a herd of elk late in the evening than a careless Blacktail.

On rare occasions we Oregonians are blessed with an extra weekend tacked onto the end of the regular rifle season. This was one of those times and was a last chance situation. The fact that it was pouring buckets didn't slow us down a bit. I slipped into the brush at the top carrying a Marlin .30/.30, lever action, with a scope, unlike Johns slick topped 94. I took my time, moving very slowly, checking all the likely bedding areas, and getting drenched, even under the tall firs. At the bottom John was all ready waiting, where we talked over what to do. Walking back to the rig we noticed a couple sets of fresh tracks we hadn't noticed that morning, that had rain water seeping into them. They were sizzling hot! "Sizzling", with the heat of the rut. I knew his young legs and open sights were the better choice so wished him well. When he slipped into the brush I was ready for a lengthy wait, but was surprised when that .32 bellowed right away. He had only gone maybe 30yds. when the doe crossed in front of him. He had the .32 up and waiting when the buck, all hot and steaming, eyes bulging, came charging into the clearing. You just never know what will happen on those kind of days. One thing for sure, that simple way of hunting, without all the extra "stuff" is sometimes the only way to go.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#2 Whistler

Whistler

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Loved it great story, but there are two nice racks in the pickup bed.

#3 Antelope Eyes

Antelope Eyes

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • Interests:I love church,family,hunting,fishing,horses,Labrador Retrievers,gardening,and cutting firewood.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Neat story thanks for sharing!
When the fog cleared I could not believe it,there he was.............

#4 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Whistler, I'd have been glad to hang a tag on either one of those, but I just got to help drag that one on the right out. The other one was from an earlier hunt that I wasn't on. Just thought it would look cool for picture purposes.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#5 singleshot

singleshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Great story Alan...

Those "old growth" ferns hold more water than any reprod unit ever thought of.. Well that combined with that horrible brown pollen that they also emit makes a scope dang near useless in just a couple feet of busting into it...
We've all got our style of hunting, as long as it's within the law, ethical and you enjoy it.... Go for it.

#6 mjprohoroff

mjprohoroff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, camping, hiking, and most things outdoors.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Great read, thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users