• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rocklinhunter

rocklinhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

My son was just drawn for the Shasta -Trinity J4 Apprentice Hunt (November 25- December 3, 2017).  Since I am not familiar with this hunt or the area I immediately started researching the hunt and I found this forum.  The only information I found was one thread from 2013 with limited info so I thought I would reach out in hopes of some assistance.

I have determined the boundaries and I have been trying to predict the migration routes of the bucks coming from the Trinities from Google Earth and to me it looks like the areas around Trinity Lake look promising.  I plan on making a few scouting trips to this location before the hunt starting this summer, just to become familiar with the area. I have a boat but I am not sure if using it would get us into any better locations we can access to start a morning hunt on foot.

Anyway, if anyone can share some ridges or general areas that typically hold bucks during this late season that I can start scouting now I would appreciate the direction.  I am willing to put in the time it takes to get my son a quality buck but I am just looking for people that may have some past experiences hunting with kids on this hunt or from someone who has been out there during this time of year.

Thanks!

#2 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

there are people here that hunt that area and all around trinity lake and trinity alps 

i dont . have not been to trinity lake since 60s on vacation 

have a cousin that hunts it and he werks at trinity fly , thinks thats their name . its a fish shop around weaverville 

GOOD LUCK 

and check back often 

#3 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, carpentry

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ive heard that the deer swim across the lake from the alps side over to the east.  I guess its plausible because the lake is to big to go around but I don't know that boat may come in handy

Introducing yourself and telling us about your hunting history and sticking around for a bit would be cool too.

cheers

#4 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:hunting ,fishing ,blackpowder, rendezvous ,camping ,playing with dog ,hiking in mountains , anything outdoors in mountains except SNOW and LOVE NASCAR

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

back in late 60s we were camped at either shasta or trinity on our normal 2 week summer camping vacation . one morn dad and me and older brother headed out to do fishing when dad thought he saw a swimmer floundering . then we noticed it was a buck splashing and dipping underwater . dad grabbed the horns and my brother drove the boat to shore . cant remember how long it took but it took awhile , and the buck just gave up . we got to shore and it took all 3 of us to pull the buck out of the water . it was still alive but lost all its kick.

after fishing a few hours later we went past that spot and buck was gone .

#5 rocklinhunter

rocklinhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:10 AM

A few weeks ago I located a DFG article were it was discussed how the deer will swim across the Trinity Lake to continue east.  I believe they estimated a few hundred deer will swim this lake to migrate east.

#6 big bad hunter

big bad hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

remember , clair engle , trinity lake , what ever you call it is a recreation area and may have restrictions on hunting/shooting around the lake . check to see if any apply . fish & wildlife should know but no idea who to ask . boat camping for hunting does sound fun but not if you have to walk a mile or so away from the water to hunt legal . 

#7 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Introducing yourself and telling us about your hunting history and sticking around for a bit would be cool too.
cheers

This

#8 scott63

scott63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

I would suggest trying to meet with that areas biologist and warden, before the general season when they are crazy busy, to see what areas they could point you to. Being a late season hunt changes things drastically from the regular season and both of the above would have experience watching/monitoring deer movement during a time when the rest of us are home thinking about next years season.

#9 meatbuck

meatbuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Putting meat in the freezer

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

Keep in touch with local warden or biologist throughout the season and thereafter because they may run across a big buck tending does after season on their daily route or what have you. Basically try to keep in touch with anyone who is out n about on forest service or blm lands... Pg&e, forestry service, cal fire, logging truckers, chp, etc anyone who makes a daily trip through your hunt area is going to be your best source of current info. Don't be afraid to ask random locals or even call the local sheriff or fire department. Those are likely our kind of guys and they likely know the area and see animals every day on the way to or from work or while on patrol...

#10 rocklinhunter

rocklinhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

I have been in contact with the local wardens so that has been great advice but I never thought of all the others that are out there daily as well.  I'll definitely keep everyone updated as the season progresses.

#11 Team Forky

Team Forky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

If you still need help closer to the season... private message me. I grew up hunting that area and would easily be able to show you guys some good areas or take y'all. A lot of bucks will be full blown rut. Should be an awesome hunt for you guys:

#12 rocklinhunter

rocklinhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Great thank!!! I'll be in contact with you as we get closer to the season!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users