#1 huntinfreak

huntinfreak

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and dirt bikes

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

My kids didnt grow up under my roof and they lived several hundred miles away with there mom and stepdad who didnt hunt at all.My son came and lived with me for awhile when he was 18 and his life was pretty messed up and i was gonna try and get him on track.He was here during rifle season so i got him a deer tag and took him to a small out of the way spot that not many know about.We were kicking around the truck waiting for light and i was telling him we could walk in to the landing but i was leary of kicking one out in the dark,its happened to many times i told him.It was almost light enough so we jumped the gun and headed in we didnt make it 75 yards and kicked up a forked horn witch we may have got had we waited till it was all the way light.oh well good lesson for him.We walked in to the first cut and spotted another fork but he just woudnt give us a clean shot then he disapered into the timber.we got into the landing where i had logged and seen alot of bucks but all we seen was does so we just sat and watched the cut awhile.Across the draw in the timber a bull bugeled a few times man he thought that was cool.Then in a big blackberry patch in the draw i spotted a bear,we watched this bear for 45 minutes and i just couldnt tell if he was a shooter,i wanted a big bear,i decided to pass.We stuck around for the evening hunt and positioned ourselfes on a ridge watching a cutline where i always seen the deer coming and going.We could here something in the timber for awhile then out popped another bear he was a small average bear and looking at this one we knew i should of shot the one that morning and that was the last critter we saw till we pulled in the driveway and seen another forked horn.I told him i guy could go all season and not see what we seen today,this isnt a normal day of hunting i explained to him.Ofcourse we were right back there in the morning,from the first landing we seen the elk with a real nice 5 point.I told him put your phone on vibrate,im gonna go look of this other little landing,text me if you see something and just stay put and watch.I got over to this other little spot a seen 2 forked horns so i text him to get over here and he came over all exited and i showed him the bucks they were out there aways and i wanted him to have a good rest but we couldnt find one that wasnt brushed over.We finaly found a good spot,i didnt think real highly of the scope on the 30o6 he borrowed from his step brother,my step son,so i told him to use my mine he put a bead on the buck and i told him they dont know we are here and there is no one else around,there is no hurry just take your time and make it count and if he drops give me the gun.He dropped him in his tracks then handed me the gun and gave me the rest and i dropped the other one,i wanted a bigger one but this was special deal and a memory he will always remember,i was vary proud of him.What a weekend it was and i havent got him out since.I want him to hunt with me cause you talk about a good luck charm,i never get that kind of action in one weekend and he knows it doesnt always go down like that.Top of the list for favorite hunts for sure.
gotta love oregon

#2 Rod

Rod

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Great luck with timing one of those amazing hunting adventures, huh? Bucks, bull, bears - all during hunting season with your son on a rare opportunity. You're right about it not always being that good for seeing game out there, of course. Still, even without, it's so great. But incredibly nice to see so much, including the double drop, when you had the chance. Great story.
New ideas don't take hold because people become convinced of them, they take hold because the people believing the old stuff die.

#3 shedhorn

shedhorn

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Family

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

Great story!
It's tough to push a rope.

#4 Garrett1923

Garrett1923

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

That was a great story! Hopefully you and your boy can get back out soon. I know my favorite days in the woods have been with my dad, even when we are headed home with nothing but memories.

#5 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I love your stories. I guess because I know you're the real deal. I've hunted some of the coast range and feel like I'm right there with ya. This story goes far and beyond just being a good huntin story though. It's gotta be tough not being around all the time when your kid is growing up. How could there be a more perfect hunt? In my book, just one day like that can have as much impact as years. That one somehow didn't have that "caveman" feel to it. Sounded more like a dad that loves his son very much.

Keep writing. I for one, can't get enough of em.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#6 huntinfreak

huntinfreak

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and dirt bikes

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

Thanks guys,it was a special hunt i know for both of us,if he never hunts again he will always remember the one weekend that he did and it was with his dad and on top of it being such a steller weekend,topped with a double whammy.
gotta love oregon

#7 Antelope Eyes

Antelope Eyes

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts
  • Interests:I love church,family,hunting,fishing,horses,Labrador Retrievers,gardening,and cutting firewood.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

Gotta love a family affair. Way to go dad.
When the fog cleared I could not believe it,there he was.............

#8 sotc

sotc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

Very cool story. For me 90% of hunting is about who I go with. That is, of course, unless I actually get something...
Enjoying some cow meat this winter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users