13 replies to this topic

#1 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Just hoofed about eight miles, I'm bushed. Mixed a little shed hunting with leaving a trail cam in the woods. On the way to where I wanted to leave the cam, I found this little guy.

I actually saw him during hunting season, so he was alive then. Not much left now. A little further on there was a very large pile of bear poo, full of fur. Are they already out of hibernation, or do they truly hibernate in this mild weather? A little further on....

the classic ripped apart log. (fresh) Left the cam on down the creek a ways, where a couple trails cross. Can't wait to check it out. Well, it might be a week or so, before I can get these old bones moving again.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#2 elkkillerjoe

elkkillerjoe

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

i dont think they do in oregon
a man can change, im livin proof of that.
i did what i did, no goin back, past is the past, and i didnt come this far to quit.

#3 Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

Doing some research, and it appears that yes they do, even here in Oregon. It's considered more of a "winter lethargy" and is around 100 days, ending in late February to March.
Nice Pics. :-)
Looking forward to your Tcam pics. I'm shopping for one now...

#4 aosteelheader

aosteelheader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Blacktail bucks and sheds. <br />Steelhead fishing, salmon when there are no steelhead around. <br />Calling predators

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

I've had the same question for years.
Sometimes I'll see bear sign thoughout winter. This winter I haven't seen any tracks since christmas tree hunting season. We saw several sets while up driving around in what little snow there was before christmas. We were out all day today on foot and didn't see any sign. There were a couple piles of deer hair that had passed through a lion . Last winter while predator hunting I came across a dead bear that had died fairly recently,it was jsut a stinky pile of hair,bones and gooey stuff that had been meat. The nose part of its skull had been chewed off.

It would be interesting to know if they migrate off the higher elevations, or den up and go to sleep for winter. In the mid and low elevations, I think they go take a nap for 2-3 weeks and wake up hungry and go looking for something to eat, then go back to bed for while.

#5 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to these cams. The only thing I know is what I've learned here at Blacktail Country. I packed some apples to use for bait, or to hopefully slow them down long enough for the camera to start up. I was thinking deer, not bear. Is it legal to bait a bear for photos?
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#6 Chris

Chris

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

Yes they hibernate. The length of time varies from area to area and on weather conditions. This year the bears will be out early if they arent already.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves!!"

#7 shedhorn

shedhorn

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Family

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

Yes they do, but when the weather is nice they will come out for a day or two.

I am almost positive that you can't bait bear, even for a cam. Good thing you are bating deer.
It's tough to push a rope.

#8 Chris

Chris

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

Its illegal to bait bears. However they would have to prove you deliberately put the apples out for the bears.
"The beatings will continue until morale improves!!"

#9 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

I think the predation done by bears is much higher than thought. Years ago, I actually surprised a bear that had a partially eaten fawn in it's mouth. He dropped it when I got on his tail a little too close. I was in a vehicle of course. unsure.gif

Didn't have a camera of course.

#10 Bendite

Bendite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:39 AM

with the mild winter we've had, I would not be surprised that they are out and about.

#11 wby quarterbore

wby quarterbore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:36 AM

According to the biologist that we did a project with Bears in this country (Oregon) don't hibernate in the true sense,that is they don't sleep for weeks or months. They do go to sleep for long periods of time week or two but then their up for some chow.That period lasts for around 100 days. This all has to do with elevation and weather.
Team i ain't atarted yet

#12 Willy

Willy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

One of the fish & game bio's down here said. That on some studies they did . The boar's did'nt hipernate but for couple days at time while sows usually went for longer periods.

#13 Air-Ball

Air-Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Sitting in a tree waing for the horned ghost.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

I am almost positive that you can't bait bear, even for a cam. Good thing you are bating deer.

I belive i was told you could bait bears up to the start of season. As long as the bait is gone by season you can bait them for photos. You can also use sent baits.
Pick a spot and let my arrow fly.. Dang i missed and so the name was born.

#14 PWS Fred

PWS Fred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Baiting black bears to take is sweet.. Set up a couple stations every spring and you get to see all that's coming in so you can take the one you want. It's not too fun when the brownies get on the station. Kinda creepy heading to the station and especially back at the end of the night when it's pitch black and the brownies are around. The absolute worst part of baiting bears are the mosquitoes!!!! Hands down.

Depending on the weather/elevation, black/brown bears will come out of hibernation off and on during the winter. Especially since we're having the warmest February ever here.

So stoked for black/brownies this spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users