• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 coho

coho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

I ran in to some 'hissing' blacktails today.

Is this sound only made by bucks? Anyone know what's up with that? Is it like a pre-rut thing?

thanks,
coho

#2 Guest_Whitey375_*

Guest_Whitey375_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

The only hissing sound I have ever heard is when I have let the air out of them, lol! Seriously, though I haven't heard blacktails do it, but I have heard of whitetail bucks doing it during the rut.

#3 singleshot

singleshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

never heard of it...
We've all got our style of hunting, as long as it's within the law, ethical and you enjoy it.... Go for it.

#4 Dan BTC

Dan BTC

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:30 PM

They make a phhhhhhhhhh sound when they are mad at another buck. It sounds kind of like a hiss. I think whitetail hunters call it a snort weez. I call it POed. If the deer looked anything like this, thats my bet.

Attached File  hiss.jpg   96.88KB   85 downloads

#5 coho

coho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Hmm...ok...thanks. Maybe hiss isn't the right word? Phhhhhhhhhh....might be more accurate. Somewhat similar to that sound a whale makes when it blows the air out.

First time I encountered this today...it was in some deep woods and I thought I was hearing sasquatch choking on a pork chop, then a doe blasted out of the woods and almost ran me over.

Later...I came across a group of deer that spotted me first...when they spread out a bit...one or several of them were 'Phhhhhhhhhhing' at me I assume? As they weren't making that noise before I got there. I took it kind of personal :)

#6 singleshot

singleshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

I've definitely heard the sound does make when they've spotted me long before I've spotted them (more times that I care to mention). It sounds like a hmmmph, generally associated with several foot stomps if she hasn't quite pin pointed me... At that time, I know the jig is up and the entire forest is well aware that I'm present and my attempt at being sneaky was a FAIL.

I've got a long legged doe in one of my spots who will run hundreds of yards (at least it seems that way when she's doing it) making that noise.... Pisses me off to no end, but she's always got twins with her, so she's been given a pass in the years I've had a doe or Willamette tag.

Singleshot
We've all got our style of hunting, as long as it's within the law, ethical and you enjoy it.... Go for it.

#7 Raider

Raider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

"several of them were 'Phhhhhhhhhhing"...........now thats funny!

#8 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

In my wifes hunting family they called it a "blow". Yep, when you hear that "blow", you might as well change your plans cause your present one didn't work!!!!

Odd you mentioned that. Just last night, while sitting at the computer, a deer did that sever times right in the back yard? I don't think the perceived danger was here in the house. I checked it out, to see if any carnivores were prowling around.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#9 huntinfreak

huntinfreak

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and dirt bikes

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

Same here Bright eye,was just a dow blowing,lol not sure how to spell how it sounds,couple nice trys there guys,spit copenhagen all over the computer just reading this post lol its a warning signal to other deer and man is it annoying.
gotta love oregon

#10 BHB

BHB

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:27 AM

[quote name='BRIGHTEYES' date='Sep 4 2010, 04:47 AM' post='29582']
In my wifes hunting family they called it a "blow". Yep, when you hear that "blow", you might as well change your plans cause your present one didn't work!!!!

That's what I would have called it, too.

I think what DanBTC is talking about is the snort wheeze that is made during the rut.

BHB

He who lives for this life but takes no care for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

You can acquire much knowledge in life but true wisdom comes only from God.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

#11 Dan BTC

Dan BTC

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

Now that you put it in context it's definitely just a deer blowing like others have said, probably a doe although bucks do it sometimes. Lots of time they will stomp the ground with one leg while they are doing it. I misunderstood. I thought you meant it was a long sound like a hiss and not a short blast like an alarm blow. It's just a way for deer to let all the other deer within earshot know that somethings up.

spit copenhagen all over the computer just reading this post

There you have. That pretty much describes the sound. rolleyes.gif

#12 Whistler

Whistler

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

I've also watched a buck use it to direct does to distract while he makes his get away and then signal when to follow.

#13 Upcedarcreek

Upcedarcreek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

I've also heard does make a clicking sound to their fawns when I have been up real close....

#14 maddog

maddog

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing thats all there is !!!!!!!!!!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

To damn funny everyone phhhhhhh LOL to bad we don't have voice on here would have been priceless to hear LOL
MADDOG RULES LOL and Make the first shot count,Blacktail Identification expert LOL and population control professionalist LOL

#15 coho

coho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (singleshot @ Sep 4 2010, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've definitely heard the sound does make when they've spotted me long before I've spotted them (more times that I care to mention). It sounds like a hmmmph, generally associated with several foot stomps if she hasn't quite pin pointed me... At that time, I know the jig is up and the entire forest is well aware that I'm present and my attempt at being sneaky was a FAIL.

Yeah...that's it. Thanks all.

Happened again today. I must be one smelly mother trucker.

Had a doe inside some timber start blowin' and stompin...then stop...then run around some more and start blowin' and stompin, moving towards the road I was on. She then blasted across the road in a lunging leap at full speed...followed about 30 seconds later by a fawn.

#16 BRIGHTEYES

BRIGHTEYES

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Interests:Christian walk, family, huntin, hikin, picture takin

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

You know though, there has been times when I was absolutely sure that I wasn't the cause of that alarm, (deer running straight at me) and watched real curious to see what actually did.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them. Ps.127:4,5

#17 BHB

BHB

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (BRIGHTEYES @ Sep 5 2010, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know though, there has been times when I was absolutely sure that I wasn't the cause of that alarm, (deer running straight at me) and watched real curious to see what actually did.

A buddy and I were in that situation and thought the does over 150yds away had spotted us somehow. Turns out there was a bear between us and them and that's what they were snorting about. He came out on the road about 25yds away and gave us a show. Of course, we had arrows nocked but no bear tag with us so he just wondered away not even knowing we were there!

BHB
He who lives for this life but takes no care for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

You can acquire much knowledge in life but true wisdom comes only from God.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

#18 buckfisher

buckfisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

I have heard this many times and always thought I was busted and the jig was up. Then once evening I was watching a group of does feeding in some oaks hoping a buck would join them. One doe was suspicious even though the wind was in my favor. She hissed and blew and stamped her feet for 5 minutes or so. She even came closer to check it out. The other does didn't react at all, not a a bit. Eventually she went back to feeding. Since then, when I hear it, I don't let it bother me much.
jim

#19 Blacktail Slayer

Blacktail Slayer

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

I agree with it being a snort wheeze. It works great with some rattling for blacktails during the late archery hunt here in Oregon.
Team Spot-Hogg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users