• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FoodPlot

FoodPlot

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

No clue what happened, but this last couple weeks leading up to todays opener I've had ZERO anticipation or excitement over archery season.. In fact, this is the first opening day since 1992 that I'm not hunting..
Ray (BHB) made a post a few years ago dealing with the same thing, and I tried convincing him he was nuts, go grab his bow and get out there.. But I totally know what he was feeling now.. I'm not done hunting, at all. But I just didn't get that 'Kid at Christmas' feeling leading up to today like I have for the last 30 years.. Exactly 30 years.. Wow.
Anyway, I'm not quitting, and I know that I will hunt this season.. But I thought I'd share the 'Problem' I'm dealing with..

Get Up, Get Involved!

#2 Roadkill

Roadkill

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Interests: Killing a damn blacktail

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

I hear ya foodplot, My first year packing a rifle was 1979-----a long time ago. Back then I hunted EVERY day I could, and if something happened that I couldnt I felt horrible. Now I pick my battles, if I am going by myself and I wake up in the morning and dont feel like it I dont go, I just dont have the drive like I did years ago. Now if my kids are going, different story, it just adds something.
Even though I have hunted less the last ten years than I have in the past I have killed the biggest bucks of my life since 2001 (ok I didnt get one last year but I will make up for it this year laugh.gif )
One thing that has really helped me get going again is I now hunt a shorter season, general rifle here in western OR is a bit over a month long, longer for the bow hunters. now that my season is only nine days long it adds a bit of urgency, I dont have 35 or 40 days to hunt, I gotta get it done now!!!
Good luck, and just go out and enjoy yourself, that is what it's all about anyway.
The harder you hunt, the luckier you will get.

#3 Abourda

Abourda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

And I thought I was the only one feeling this way. This year I have very little drive. I have been out 3 times archery hunting and even while I was out, I felt like leaving. I have been hunting for 29 years now and this year it's a first.
I love Mother Nature and I thank her for allowing me the opportunity to explore her land!

Alexander Bourdaniotis

#4 BayAreaBigBucks

BayAreaBigBucks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Its low testosterone for the geezers... advantage whips tongue.gif

#5 dukslayer26

dukslayer26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

I sure hope I never get that feeling. I've been hunting 26 yrs and I feel like a kid on Christmas on every hunt.
I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!!

#6 NEVADA CAT HUNTER

NEVADA CAT HUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

I noticed I am more excited when I am into bucks everyday (no brainer here). In archery season in the B zones (during the 80's) I knew I was going to see 8-20 bucks a day during archery season. Then flash forward to today and now days go by without seeing a buck. Hard to get AS excited when game becomes so few. Now when I have to wait five years for each NV deer tag I get all fired up when I draw.

The dilemma, hunt poor success hunts every year or high success every few years.
Jack Spencer Jr.
"Team Nevada"

#7 shedhorn

shedhorn

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Family

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Please God don't let this happen to me! This will be my 18th season, and the first time in my life I will miss opening day dew to work, if I wasn't the forman I would call in.
It's tough to push a rope.

#8 YBO

YBO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

WTH? Geezers if it's difficult getting up for the sport...try a little blue pill. Hehe

This will be my 47 th year deer hunting and I'm so damn excited. I've scouted more this summer than ever before and I fell like 27 again. This is NOT an informercial about some wonder supplement just a testimony about staying in shape and breathing fresh air...not so much fresh air lately with the Pass and Ponderosa fires burning.

As a last resort, you old farts might consider blaming Geo Bush for your ailments. Good luck.

#9 FoodPlot

FoodPlot

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Alright,
I feel better... Airball and I headed over to the coast and chased elk yesterday afternoon. I wasn't really exited until we started seeing hours old sign, and flaming fresh rubs. I guess I just needed to get out and do it..

I also should clarify that this early archery opener I consider 'elk' season, and late season is blacktail season. That's November/December, and yes, i'm still horned up on blacktail hunting.. No blue pills needed Rick.. Lol
The only thing I'd like better than whacking an Oregon buck in November would be taking one of those tall racked, long tined CA monsters! Hint hint
Get Up, Get Involved!

#10 YBO

YBO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Gee, I'm starting to feel all warm and fuzzy when considering all the big racked HODADS here in NoCal.

#11 BHB

BHB

BTC Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (FoodPlot @ Aug 25 2012, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No clue what happened, but this last couple weeks leading up to todays opener I've had ZERO anticipation or excitement over archery season.. In fact, this is the first opening day since 1992 that I'm not hunting..
Ray (BHB) made a post a few years ago dealing with the same thing, and I tried convincing him he was nuts, go grab his bow and get out there.. But I totally know what he was feeling now.. I'm not done hunting, at all. But I just didn't get that 'Kid at Christmas' feeling leading up to today like I have for the last 30 years.. Exactly 30 years.. Wow.
Anyway, I'm not quitting, and I know that I will hunt this season.. But I thought I'd share the 'Problem' I'm dealing with..

Finally... someone admits that it's not all there is to life! Don't worry, Dave. You'll still have spurts of excitement now and then but I chalk it up to "burn out". I still enjoy it and would enjoy a hunt with friends but kinda go along with Roadkill's thinking. I'm not going to bust my bump making it happen but I'm going to "pick my battles".

I can also relate to Nev. Cat Hunter. I don't want to do it unless I've got a chance to at least see some game. When you go out and you get to see 12 bucks on a morning hunt... it's just not the same if you don't see at least something!

BTW, I'm not ready to sell my deer rifles or my bow! Hopefully, next year I will go again!

BHB
He who lives for this life but takes no care for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

You can acquire much knowledge in life but true wisdom comes only from God.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

#12 SpearitLake

SpearitLake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

It's gotta be a Fifties thing......almost there....there....just past there.....way the helloutta them. I too feel the same way this season as I am not Hunting Deer or Elk in Washington.....man I gotta go see a Dr.

SpearitLake

Hmmm I wonder if its Low T ?

ahhhh....................to be 27 again :)

#13 Leanne

Leanne

BTC Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I can honestly say I feel the same way.

I have not gotten a buck in the last three years, and you know what? I could give a damn. I am trying to teach my child about the respect, patience, and love of the outdoors that make hunting what it is supposed to be, not just that you are supposed to kill something every year. If that means I don't want to kill an animal, but instead want to walk in the woods and show Sienna tracks, and beds, rubs and scrapes and maybe jump an old mossback or two with out my weapon, that is fine with me.

I have zero drive so far this year (muzzleloader is not for a while) and I had none last deer season, but I still love seeing the animals we hunt and I will always be a hunter.

I will be hunting grouse on this long weekend, and I think that right now at this time in my life, seeing a big old ruff or blue gets my heart going 10 times faster that seeing horn, and the reason is my daughter loves it. She is not ready to see a deer die, she has told me this, maybe someday she will but not this year. Shooting with the camera will do for now.

Living just to hunt!

#14 Gramps

Gramps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I love the mountains and I love being in the woods, but since my grandson Lupe, (pete jr) went into the marines and now is living out of state furthering his education, the ole hunting spark, taking deer and elk has waned away. My love for hunting was never the killing of the animal, but the thrill of the chase and the camaraderie of friends and family. My best hunting partners were my dad, sister, brother, and brother in-law. Those days are gone and I miss them a lot but still have the memories. Now the only reason I would take an animal would be for the meat, and to be honest it is cheaper to go to the store and buy meat. I do miss the taste of venison. The spark my come back someday, who knows. sad.gif
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life,
wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of
America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

#15 deerhunter_98520

deerhunter_98520

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Maybe thats the problem...there taking the little blue pill before they hunt so they want to come home to the wife...they need to take the little camo pill and they will want to hunt laugh.gif

#16 Ridgerunner777

Ridgerunner777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Deer, Elk, Bear and Cougar. Running, lifting weights and Reading.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

I can totally understand. I have gone through that feeling two different years. The year I got divorced my heart wasn't into it. I just needed time to get my life back in order. I am not motivated for this season, but I know why. I had a very long hunting season last year. I did not sop hunting until the middle of March because of our special late season Elk tags. Plus I have been physically taxing myself with lots of house projects. I feel burned out. I am still going to hunt, because I know that I will probably get the passion back when I see the first Buck of the season. I have decided that I will use this year to concentrate on getting my boys their first Buck. They, and my new wife, have each gotten a Doe, but they still have yet to bag their first Buck. I am going to be the brush beater and try and push the Buck's to them. I always get more excited when one of them fill a tag. That will make it all worth while! I have been so motivated that last few years, that I know the passion will come back soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users